Dead Rear Brake on '01 V11s

Guest KingKraz

Guest KingKraz

Hey y'all,

My rear brake is suckin' big time. It slowly got worse and worse, now it doesn't really work at all. Once in a while, it'll have like, 5% bite, but most of the time it's worthless.

Here's what I did:

Replaced pads b/c it needed them anyway. When taking it apart, the left side piston wouldn't reverse enough to put the pad it, so I had to pull the piston out, pour out some fluid, then it went back in, and reversed all the way out and the pads went in.

I next bled the rear brake, but it feels like it just keeps suckin' up air or something. I don't know, maybe some piston seals are bad?

Any help is appreciated.

kraz

p.s. I'm cross-posting on ST.N; apologies to those who monitor both.

It sounds as if you have a combination of seizing pistons and air in there.

Given that it doesn't work well, I would take the opportunity to give the caliper a complete clean and overhaul; get a genuine Brembo seal kit and take the caliper off completely. Clean and dismantle everything (but don't split the caliper!) and take out both pistons. If the pistons clean up ok and are not scored, replace the seals in the caliper, lube with brake fluid and put the lot back together.

Now, before you put the pads in, make a softwood block to hold both pistons completely back in the body. Reconnect the hose, and with the bleed nipple to the top, bleed the brake.

Then put the caliper back and install the new pads.

Guest rollingthunder
My rear brake is suckin' big time.  It slowly got worse and worse, now it doesn't really work at all.  Once in a while, it'll have like, 5% bite, but most of the time it's worthless.

My rear brake is the same - it catches all the road crud so I'm not surprised really. I'll be servicing mine next weekend with any luck - just need the seals...

Good luck

Guest KingKraz

Thanks for the advice. What happens if you "split" the caliper?

I'll try to find a kit tonight and order one. ugh...

Thanks again to all. I hope I can get the Guzzi up and beautiful again. =)

kraz

It sounds as if you have a combination of seizing pistons and air in there.

Given that it doesn't work well, I would take the opportunity to give the caliper a complete clean and overhaul; get a genuine Brembo seal kit and take the caliper off completely. Clean and dismantle everything (but don't split the caliper!) and take out both pistons. If the pistons clean up ok and are not scored, replace the seals in the caliper, lube with brake fluid and put the lot back together.

Now, before you put the pads in, make a softwood block to hold both pistons completely back in the body. Reconnect the hose, and with the bleed nipple to the top, bleed the brake.

Then put the caliper back and install the new pads.

59619[/snapback]

Thanks for the advice.  What happens if you "split" the caliper?

kraz

59690[/snapback]

You find little "O" rings not included in the kit of seals

You will have lots of trouble if any dust or grit gets between the faces

The bolts are (reputedly) hell to remove.

It isn't necessary.