Starting Problems

Marc B

The Bike is a 2000 V11 Sport

In the last week the bike has a very hard time starting about 50% of the time

After it starts the bike runs great.

It’s very random, Sometimes first starting in the morning, Sometimes after a long ride and every thing in between, It seems like it's not getting fuel, i'm not really up to speed on fuel injection, but perhaps it's taking to long to build pressure in the system???

Thanks

Marc

Guest PAULSMART

I have / had exact same symptoms - I now swap the relays about, which has always worked so far - definetly get rid of siemens relays though.

Paul

The fuel pump sounds consistant

I have the grey bosch relays, I'll try swapping them around.

Thanks

Marc

I have / had exact same symptoms - I now swap the relays about, which has always worked so far - definetly get rid of siemens relays though.

Paul

60412[/snapback]

I've had some starting quirks on my '02 LeMans which have become more frequent and annoying. Firstly, sometimes when I hit the button I get nothing, no cranking at all. Then if I cut the bars a little it'll usually start to crank. Secondly, with the Odyssey battery it cranks right over from cold, but once the motor is thoroughly warmed up it cranks very slowly after re-starting. It behaves like there's some serious amp draw issue or something. It might just be some crusty connections, I don't know yet for sure.

Guest ratchethack

Front to back, it goes: START, LIGHTS, NEUTRAL, ECU, and EFI.

For the START relay, may I most highly recommend the higher-amperage GEI relay from "Pyro" Dan the Guzzi Relay Man (ref. search on "GEI relay" for Dan's contact coordinates). If y'er so inclined (I am), you can carry the replaced START relay as a spare. :thumbsup:

Guest ratchethack
I've had some starting quirks on my '02 LeMans which have become more frequent and annoying. Firstly, sometimes when I hit the button I get nothing, no cranking at all. Then if I cut the bars a little it'll usually start to crank. Secondly, with the Odyssey battery it cranks right over from cold, but once the motor is thoroughly warmed up it cranks very slowly after re-starting. It behaves like there's some serious amp draw issue or something. It might just be some crusty connections, I don't know yet for sure.

60459[/snapback]

Quazi, check the bullet connectors under the tank on the left-hand side on the wires that come from the clutch switch. These are notorious sources of exactly the symptoms you describe, per many posts on this. A good cycling of the connectors, careful re-crimping and application of dielectric grease has cured this in many cases, mine included. :thumbsup:

WRT the slow warm start - as you noted, cleaning up and re-seating all ground paths is always a good idea. :thumbsup: