What goes down first?

Guest Nogbad

Looking at the V11 today, it ocurred to me that the cans might touch down at the same time as or even before the pegs....

As I am MUCH to old and staid to make a practical experiment out of the observation, perhaps the more adventurous out there could tell me?

Guest ratchethack

I think it depends on a few things such as how much you weigh, springs, fork spacers, where the fork is set in the triples, etc. Also, I think the stock mufflers touch down first, at least on the right, but if you've gone to shorter, slimmer aftermarket cans, I think the pegs drag first? I haven't yet dragged pegs, but on the left, I used to scratch my sidestand enough to grind off considerable metal until I followed a tip here from Mike and trimmed down the rubber sidestand stop by half. This made a big difference - haven't touched it down since. :race:

The stock can on the right seems to be offset from the centre of the bike rather more than the left one, presumably to clear the final drive. I think it would go down before the peg.

:(

I tried on a local roundabout, but I don't have the bottle.

60440[/snapback]

I don't mean when you're on it!

Play safe for goodness sake. Stand beside it, then give it a shove.

Or kick away the side stand.

And observe.

I don't mean when you're on it!

Play safe for goodness sake. Stand beside it, then give it a shove.

Or kick away the side stand.

And observe.

60445[/snapback]

I was thinking of a non-destructive test.....

rightcan.jpgsidestand.jpgOn the right it's the can, on the left the sidestand.  I don't know why they've got 'hero knobs' on the pegs.

60479[/snapback]

You sure you didn't sneak pictures of my bike somehow? Honestly, this is the same stuff that's happening to mine.

I kind of wish the footpegs would grind first, they move, the muffler doesn't!!

Ciao, Steve G.