6 speed Sporti?

Guest jmcmath

Can anyone tell me whether or not the current Guzzi 6-speed gearbox would fit on a 97 Sporti? The bike has such tall gearing and clunky shifting action that a more up to date replacement would be ideal. Thanks.

Can anyone tell me whether or not the current Guzzi 6-speed gearbox would fit on a 97 Sporti? The bike has such tall gearing and clunky shifting action that a more up to date replacement would be ideal. Thanks.

60762[/snapback]

The 6 speed will fit the Sporti frame with a little welding (new torque arm mount). Plus, you need the entire swingarm and rear box from a V11 Sport. Is it worth it? In a word. No. The 5 speed box works admirably well after it has broken in (takes about 25,000) miles and if it is shimmed correctly. The first gear ratio for the 6 speed never struck me as being that much shorter, I have both bikes so I'm not unfamiliar with the two different types. If you want to shorten the gearing, you could just fit a shorter profile rear tire and see if that suits your needs. At least that will require no physical changes to the bike.

As jean marc pointed out I did this. If it's worth it, that's a difficult discussion. But that is the same for any upgrade on a bike. Find a crashed v11, take what you need, sell the rest in parts, and if you didn't pay to much for the crashed bike, the gearbox comes cheap:-)

Shifting on a v11 box is much smoother, it did take me a while to get used to the ratios, the old ones were "programmed"in my head. I mean shifting down at a corner, I did that blind, now I had to think "back 1 or 2 gears?"

Thanks for the feedback. I did fit a 60 profile rear tire which noticeably geared the bike down which was helpful especially in heavy traffic where it seems the gap between 1st and 2nd is a little too wide. I was definitely planning on reshimming the 5-speed but thought that fitting a 6-speed might be just as easy. Swing arm mods is a different story however. Either way I suppose bang for the buck conisderations would suggest reworking the exisitng box instead.