Turn Signals/Mirrors

Dr Gil

I crashed my '02 Le Mans a while back and am starting the re-build. I lost both the front and back, left-side turn signals and the left side mirror in the accident. I was told that Buell makes a great substitute for the original parts at a fraction of the cost. I've done the "search" here for threads helping me through adapting these parts to my bike but am nothing but confused :huh2:

I've taken my broken bits down to the Harley shop and had them match them. The closest they come up with don't really match and will need modification. Here's what I'm up against.

Mirrors:

I got Buell part # NO162.02A8 (righthand) and NO161.02A8 (lefthand). These are almost exact matches to the originals but with longer threaded bolts...which means I'm going to have to fabricate 1/4" spacers to make them fit. I see from my online search that there are mirrors with a "curved" stalk from a Firebolt that may suit better. Anyone know anything about the differences? Am I still going to have to make spacers? I hate making spacers :(

Signals:

I got signals from the new Ulysees (sp?) offroad bike. Part #'s Y0503.02A8 for the LH Front/RH Rear and Y0504.02A8 for the RH Front/LH Rear. While these look right the base's are all wrong. The mounting doesn't match and I'd have to fabricate some sort of funky insert to cover one of the mounting holes on the Guzzi and drill out the other to fit the single mount required by the Buell light. I also hate drilling into my beloved Guzzi's fairing :(

So where am I going wrong? Are there other Buell parts that would suit my quest better? Or am I stuck with, if I want things to fit correctly then I'd best bite the bullet, spend the dollars and get OEM?

Any and all advice/help/experience/suggestions will be MUCH appreciated.

I got the turn signals from the Buell Blast...they may be the same that you got.

They have rubber stems that droop.

So, aesthetically they lose because of the droop, but the smoked color makes up for it.

Also, the threaded mounting stem is larger than the OE 2000 Guzzi's, so I had to bore out the rear mount a little, which was easy.

The front was a little more difficult.

I should have bought a proper tap, but I just bored it out just enough to do a really crude forced threading. The right front was done well, but the left front requires me to tape the threads and re-ream it in every six months....not ideal, but I don't mind.

I suppose I could just put a bolt on it...I forget why I did not.... Perhaps there was not enough room for the nut ... :huh2:

Buell Mirrors: There are threads here on the board that talks the miror piece. I think the step you missed the oart about swaping mounting plates and keeping your short studed OEM one. If I remember right, a 10mm bolt holds the plate to the stalk. The other benifit besides cost is the Buell ones are an inch or so wider thus getting you elbos out of the picture.

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...783entry40783

Continued Thread with updated part number:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5471

Buell Signals: Yes your right the buel turn signal stalks mount a little different. they will cover the OEM holes. I do not know anything about the Ulysee but have the dealer look these up. They look just like 2002 OEM signals except the lenses are smoked with an amber insert and the stalk has a ruber center. I do not think they are too hard to adapt.

Y0527.K Turn Signal Right Rear (or left front on a MG) $5.60 US

Y0526.K Turn Signal Left Rear (or right front on a MG) $5.60 US.

These threads cover the knowledge base...

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...837entry32837

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...272entry23272

good luck

Guest rollingthunder

Not sure if the LeMans uses the same indicators as the Scura/naked, but I'm sure that these (naked) are the same as on the BMW F650GS that I had before the V11. The GS used to be made by Aprilia, hence the use of Italian components. This might be a cheaper option than Buell ?

Hope this helps.