labor rates

fernando

i just paid $ 96.00 for an oil change .

filter $20.00 and labor 56.00 plus oil.

and, $357 .00 for the fork oil change.

i know the oil charge is high but nothing i can do about it now.

but ,what is the number of hours needed for the fork oil ?

at $ 75.00 per hour labor rate i was hit for 4.76 hours to do it. does this time period sound right.

i am not complainning .only trying to get my facts correct so the i know where to go next time.

fernando

Sonny Angel Motorcycles

December 27, 2001

Change oil and filter

Change gear oil and rear oil

adjust valves

change brake fluid

change fork oil

labor US$337.80

parts US$ 63.86

tax US$ 4.79

total US$406.45

In looking over my bill, I suspect they forgot to add the cost of the fork oil.

They charged $50 per hour four years ago, and this job took nearly 7 hours.

The same job would take me twice as long to do, so when I work on my bike, I figure I am saving $25 per hour. :D

I guess I got a really good deal, especially considering the cost of living in San Diego.

I suspect if you are in some place more expensive like Tokyo, San Francisco, Manhattan, London, or Rome, you are going to pay a lot more. If you are in Little Rock Arkansas, and they charge $75 per hour, I'd be complaining and would find another mechanic.

To do it properly you have to take the legs out and invert them and pump 'em a bit to empty the cartridges before you turn 'em back up the right way and fill 'em up again. It's a fairly time consuming job. I haven't done one lately and can't remember how much it cost but the time figures are ball park I'd suggest.

Pete.

I just did this last month, changing the fork oil I mean. The toughest part of this job is getting the front end of the bike in the air. Otherwise this job is easy, perhaps a bit time consuming. Best to take one leg off at a time, and as Pete said, flip it upside down and pump it some. I let the thing stand upside down overnight as well.

I would never consider paying someone, or a shop, to do this job. I consider this part of the ownership of what is essentially a big boys toy to me.

Plus I'm cheap!

Ciao, Steve G.