To Guzzi or not to Guzzi?

99d12

This quest has been a long time coming! Fell in love with the MG brand back in 1967, when a friend of the family had one. I was 7 and didn't know much about bikes, but thought that was the coolest one that I had seen. Started riding dirt bikes when I was 12 and road all the Jap stuff. First real road bike was an 83 VF45 Interceptor, great bike! Whish I had kept it, you guys know how that goes. Ended up in Germany in 1983 and saw my first Le Mans 1000. Thought about that old MG from "67" MG is still the coolest!!! Well since then many bikes have come and gone but due to circumstances I can't fully explain no Guzzi's. My current ride is a 1999 Triumph Daytona 1200SP. Love this bike and it is a keeper!!! Learned my lesson with the Interceptor.

Long introduction, sorry! But I am finally going to look at some Guzzi's :mg: and test ride :bike: in the morning!!!! I have ridden a Breva 750, had a ball with that great little bike, a possibility for the wife one day. But never one of the bigger models. My first choice is a V11 Rosso Corsa, but they are almost impossible to find. I did find a new Coppa Italia for a good price. Also saw the mods from one of the members here with the Le Mans Fairing painted to match. That is a beautiful bike!!! If everything works out there may be another similar bike posted here.

The dealer that I am going to seems to have many varieties of the Naked V11 model line. Is there one that stands out over the others that I should look for? I like the Coppa Italia and it seems to match the spec sheet of the Rosso Corsa very closely, or am I wrong with this comparison?

Also, does anybody have any information about the 06 Falcone GT 1200? I have seen some poor quality pictures of this bike and it looks interesting.

Thanks!

David

The dealer that I am going to seems to have many varieties of the Naked V11 model line. Is there one that stands out over the others that I should look for? I like the Coppa Italia and it seems to match the spec sheet of the Rosso Corsa very closely, or am I wrong with this comparison?

63851[/snapback]

They are all fairly close in their specs from one year to the next and one color scheme to the next. I wrote up a description of the model year to year differences and it's under the 'FAQ' section. I haven't written up a similar text on color differences. :grin: The difference between the Rossa and the Coppa is mainly (exclusively?) the handlebars and the fairing.

Some believe that the models equiped with Ohlin's suspension is worth the extra money. I have the plain model, and I haven't ridden one with Ohlins, so... :huh2: It's definitely a nicer suspension, I just don't know how much nicer. Don't think I want to know either...

Guest Steve_W
It's definitely a nicer suspension, I just don't know how much nicer.  Don't think I want to know either...

63853[/snapback]

You're right, you don't want to know, so I won't tell you about the '03 LeMans and '03 Rosso Corsa I got to ride back-to-back...

. . .  My first choice is a V11 Rosso Corsa, but they are almost impossible to find. I did find a new Coppa Italia for a good price. . . Is there one that stands out over the others that I should look for? I like the Coppa Italia and it seems to match the spec sheet of the Rosso Corsa very closely, or am I wrong with this comparison?

63851[/snapback]

Welcome to this great forum David. It was just a few short months ago that I was in your same situation. I came from an aprilia and for some reason the Rosso Corsa and Coppa Italia really caught my eye. After reading hundreds of posts on here, to learn as much as possible about the different, yet very similar models, I decided that the Coppa Italia was the bike for me.

But as fate would have it, a Rosso Corsa showed up on ebay close by. I went to look at it in the flesh, and I fell in love at first sight. I put in a bid and won the bike of my dreams. In the last few weeks I have seen no less than three Coppa Italias for sale at very good prices. Nevertheless, I am more than satisfied with my LeMans.

As a ex v11Lemans ( and a lifetime Guzzista) owner I have missed my 2002 enough to lust after a Coppa, even though a Nero or a Rosso were originally my first choices... The Ohlins sure do make a big difference for me as a sales point( have had Ohlins shocks on some bikes and on my Cali EV as well as the full Monty on my Duc 998s.) The Marzocchi front forks were quite good in my experience om the LM , but the rear Sachs so-so.. looking forward to a Coppa as a more user friendly alternative to the Duc( awsome but best in small doses)... Glad to see positive feed back on the bikes from most of the posters.. Will report on my experience after I manage to snag on of my own.Cheers

Guzzi it is!!!! :helmet:

Test ride went very well!!! :race: I love my current bike (Triumph Daytona 1200) and it is a keeper, but the Guzzi is so different and what I have been looking. I have ridden many bikes over the last 24 months and this one really flipped my switch in every way! The bike I rode was a demo, Ballabio, but they had a Coppa Italia in the back that was already sold. The Coppa Italia in person is so awesome.

Also, I found the stock fly screen to be fine so I may not make the Le Mans fairing mod. We will see.

Made a down payment for a Coppa Italia today. Just have to wait a few weeks for delivery.

Later!

David

Guzzi it is!!!! :helmet:

Test ride went very well!!!  :race: I love my current bike (Triumph Daytona 1200) and it is a keeper, but the Guzzi is so different and what I have been looking. I have ridden many bikes over the last 24 months and this one really flipped my switch in every way! The bike I rode was a demo, Ballabio, but they had a Coppa Italia in the back that was already sold. The Coppa Italia in person is so awesome.

Also, I found the stock fly screen to be fine so I may not make the Le Mans fairing mod. We will see.

Made a down payment for a Coppa Italia today. Just have to wait a few weeks for delivery.

Later!

David

64709[/snapback]

From which dealer are you buying the Coppa? :bier:

Atlanta Motor World located in Roswell GA. Great folks so far! My first time dealing with them, they seem to be into the sport and not just trying to make a $$$! The price I got made the deal impossible to turn down. :thumbsup:

Later!

David

Atlanta Motor World located in Roswell GA. Great folks so far! My first time dealing with them, they seem to be into the sport and not just trying to make a $$$! The price I got made the deal impossible to turn down.  :thumbsup:

Later!

David

64809[/snapback]

How much did you pay for it?

Atlanta Motor World located in Roswell GA. Great folks so far! My first time dealing with them, they seem to be into the sport and not just trying to make a $$$! The price I got made the deal impossible to turn down.  :thumbsup:

Later!

David

64809[/snapback]

Congrats, welcome to the club. Sean & Co. a great folks: Interestingly enough, one owns a Triumph, the other a Guzzi Sport 1100i, they're franchised for Yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki, and now (!) Guzzi.