MG ti exhausts

windchill

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anybody remember which thread detailed propoer, non wobbly, fitting of MG's own ti cans? I'm sure I've seen some discussing regarding how well, or otherwise, they fit, and how to rectify the situation..

Thanks

64033[/snapback]

Its a pretty straight forward procedure, theres no wobble on mine that I know of. replace the pipe hangers with the shorter ones in the kit, mounts that are rubber covered wrap around the cans, and bolt to bottom of shorter hanger, tighten the clamp to the crossover make sure the pipes are aligned evenly from the rear(adjust by turning where it mounts to the crossover) Go Ride and enjoy the sweetest sound in the world! any more specific questions, let me know, Ciao . Rick

Part of the discussion before was about wobble because the new set-up places the clamps close to the front end of the cans. I added spacers to both set the cans in a better lateral position relative to the bike and to move the clamps back – giving better support. Everything is pretty tight and there is no great amount of wobble.

I had trouble mounting my mg ti cans. When I put the hangers on in the direction I thought they should go, hangers pointing forward, nothing fit right. The crossover was too long, the cans wouldn't clear the rear foot pegs worth a crap, and the oval band was way forward on the cans. So I pointed the hangers toward the back. This is done by how you mount that stupid triangular adapter (Really disappoint with the hangers, the stock ones are much nicer). This way the oval bands are futher back on the cans (little more than 1/3 of the way up the can). Also had to add 3/4 to 1 inch spacer to clear the rear foot pegs. I used the rubber inserts from the original hangers and three washers. The instuctions that ship with the cans are poor. I have pictures but I can't figure out how to post them.

Rocketman

Thanks for that. All done, but the rubber mounts through the shorter can/footrest hangers seem very loose on mine. Should they be?

64189[/snapback]

They are not real tight on the cans, but hold the adequately, if they squeezed the can too tight, they may dent it,as the titanium is very thin. :mg:

These are from the Erin Rally photos: link to more in Travel, Meetings I think.

Baldini's bike with bands in standard position

Image-B73408BEDF6F11D9.jpg

You can see the extra bracket that I added. Band is further back

Image-421E9E6CDF7511D9.jpg

Image-421EB82ADF7511D9.jpg

Here are the pictures showing how I mounted my mg ti cans.

Rocketman

DSC02806.JPGDSC02807.JPGDSC02808.JPG

64292[/snapback]

The way you mounted the cans looks good, but does it make the footpeg position more uncomfortable if you carry a passenger,as the pegs are higher and further back?

Bigbikerrick,

I'm sure it does. Haven't taken a passenger since I mounted them. Really, I don't think there is a whole lot of difference (both look terrible uncomfortable). I just couldn't get em to work at all the other way. Maybe I wasn't patient enough. Too jazzed about getting them on so I could here them. Might have to get a second bike for the two up thing. Do you have the ti cans? How comfortable is your passenger?

Rocketman

Bigbikerrick,

I'm sure it does.  Haven't taken a passenger since I mounted them.  Really, I don't think there is a whole lot of difference (both look terrible uncomfortable).  I just couldn't get em to work at all the other way.  Maybe I wasn't patient enough.  Too jazzed about getting them on so I could here them.  Might have to get a second bike for the two up thing.  Do you have the ti cans?  How comfortable is your passenger?

Rocketman

64312[/snapback]

Yes I have the Ti cans(love the sound) I never ride a passenger myself, I have a kawasaki nomad for 2up duty, as my wife and I are pretty good sized, HeHe. My son borrows my sport and rides his girlfriend on back sometimes, and she says its more comfortable than his CBR 600, but she is a skinny little thing,and 21 years old. (Im sure age,and flexibility make a big difference) :grin:

Does anyone have the MG ti cans with the stock footrest hangars? I love the look and sound but I have the Hepco and Becker bags on my Ballabio and need the clearance the regular mounts provide. I have never seen a picture with the regular mounts used. A while back the consensus was they would work but now I'm wondering if they will fit securely.

Randy

Does anyone have the MG ti cans with the stock footrest hangars?  I love the look and sound but I have the Hepco and Becker bags on my Ballabio and need the clearance the regular mounts provide.  I have never seen a picture with the regular mounts used.  A while back the consensus was they would work but now I'm wondering if they will fit securely.

Randy

64332[/snapback]

I will try it out the next few days and keep you posted, as I have actually bought a complete unused set that should be delivered this week.

Hubert