1st service Cafe Sport

finehomebuilder

After hauling my Sport to dealer in S.C. for 1st service, all that was done was an oil change ( not including filter because they didn't have one in stock). Very disappointed!

I need to know what needs done so I can do it myself.

New synthetic (Mobil 1 15-50?), with new filter and clean screen.

Adjust valves, Retorque heads.

Does anything else need 'tended to?

Thanks.

After hauling my Sport to dealer in S.C. for 1st service, all that was done was an oil change ( not including filter because they didn't have one in stock).  Very disappointed!

I need to know what needs done so I can do it myself.

New synthetic (Mobil 1 15-50?), with new filter and clean screen.

Adjust valves, Retorque heads.

Does anything else need 'tended to?

Thanks.

64261[/snapback]

Yes. Assuming you're talking about a one-year old bike, you'll need an air filter, gearbox oil changed and drivebox oil changed - both good quality 80W90 [don't forget to add the correct amount of moly additive to the drivebox: 2cc] and if I were you I should change the plugs and balance the fuel injection throttle bodies [see this site].

When I gave my Guzzi its first service, I found the injection mal-adjusted and the valve clearances completely out.

Finally, be careful when undoing and doing up the sump drain plug: the thread is fragile and I've had to helicoil mine already. Use a new gasket on the pan if you take it off to clean the gauze filter or because you don't have the spin-off filter tool.

I prefer fully synthetic oil for the motor, too, but a 15/50?

Bon courage!

Check the valve clearance, change all fluids. Check the plugs, the air filter should still look like new. Be very meticulous when cleaning the mesh screen in your oilpan. I always wipe the pan clean with a cloth when I change the oil, the first change the pan should be wiped for sure. You're supposed to change the fork oil too but beware...its a pain in the ass & probably not needed until 6000 miles or so. If your really motivated take the front & rear wheels off & grease the fronts bearings & put some grease on the spline in the rear hub. Also pump a little grease in the driveshaft. Theres three fittings for grease but good luck fitting the grease gun on two of the fittings. That should do ya good for a while :D If I missed anything other than throttle body sync somebody fill in the blank here_____ lol

Wow! Two posts and you guys have completely serviced a modern Guzzi! :thumbsup:

Consider applying dielectric grease to every connector you come across and retorque the battery terminals.

Ooh, she's gonna love you back after this! :race:

Wow! Two posts and you guys have completely serviced a modern Guzzi! :thumbsup:

Consider applying dielectric grease to every connector you come across and retorque the battery terminals.

Ooh, she's  gonna love you back after this! :race:

64270[/snapback]

Thank you all for your advice. If not Mobil 1 15-50 for lower Alabama, remember Ivan, what would you suggest? The info for additive in gearbox is appreciated. I will be installing aftermarket air filter.

Would anyone be willing to discuss two further questions I have?

2000 Quota - touring windshield you would suggest? Maintence issues for this model? Should I install the Power Commander I have for it, or leave well enough alone? Currently have crossover and supertrapp installed with no other modifications.

For docc, how about the GB500. I have been looking for a nice one. Any suggestions?

O.K. One more question. I have a 2005 Cafe Sport and do not like the handlebars. I prefer the handling of my friends Scura with clip-ons. Any suggestions where I can use the stock connections?

Thanks again.

The GB is a wonderful motorbike. At about 30hp it is ,as Gordon Jennnings once said, "equal to a gentlemanly pace." Yet it is so narrow and lithe I have cooked the derrieres of many a liter bike ( much to their dismay).

Recently I thought of selling it. It would fetch, perhaps, $3500USD. Just a glance at it and I have renigged. The whole affair began with my oggling of a KTM 950 in orange all kitted out. Then thinking, ' off with the VFR, the GB and one of the XR's and maybe I could swing this . . .'

I really do still lust after the KTM but just can't part with the GB. It is my first bike with 42,000 miles.

Still, if I could have only one it would be the Sport. The way the cylinders ring at full chat on a cool morning, carving into the corners, the barking-grumbling Mistrals, all swooping-flying like an aviator intense on the dive, pulling up from the trees, banking, climbing hard. A leaping panther of a bike, so eager, so all-bent on satisfaction. She likes it, really, all the roughness and tossing about. Neither of us can wait til next time.

You just can't service an Italian bike without thoughts like these. :wub: