Not a V11 Problem

Guest Nogbad

My wife's old car died, so I went out and bought her a neat Fiat Punto. Thing is, I couldn't get any fuel into it. Took 10 minutes to get as many litres in. I guess the vapour recovery system is blocked or something. It's being fixed under warranty, but did anyone else hear of a problem like that before?

Guest ratchethack

Nog, it's the latest and greatest emission control engineering from Fiat. It seems that if you can't get fuel in, this substantially cuts down on the hydrocarbons out of the exhaust. :lol:

Sounds about right provided:

You tried more than one pump to check that pump not us

You weren't trying to pit leaded in, noseles are wider

You took the fuel cap off

There's not something stuffed down the hole

Natural Justice for buying a Punto :(

Can't she fill her own car up. My stepmother never filled up her last car, a good trick if you don't run a joint account :D

Nog, it's the latest and greatest emission control engineering from Fiat.  It seems that if you can't get fuel in, this substantially cuts down on the hydrocarbons out of the exhaust. :lol:

64361[/snapback]

Could have something to do with the car only getting 6000 miles in 2 years! Maybe the poor sap that had it first just got told "they are all like that madam". Anyway, I was lucky. When I picked it up there was no fuel in there, so I remonstrated with the salesman, who offered to come to the pump with me and stick £20 worth in. Anyway the fuel spurted back up the pipe all over the dealer guy, while I stand there and go..... "tut tut, that can't be right surely". It still has a full year of the Fiat warranty to go though, so no worries. Given the thing is immaculate, goes really well and I paid half the new price.

I had a good couple of years witha LHD Fiat Barchetta which is based upon a Punto and apart from a cracking heatshield in the motor it was 100% reliable with no issues at all.

Went, sounded and handled well for a front wheel drive car too.

GU

Guest accinson

My Punto did the same thing, although it was an old '96 TD one. I just needed to play with the nozzle a bit. Never had other problems, beside the fact that with the AC on was quite slow.

In fact, they really are all like that.

Turn the nozzle away from you so that it's "upside down" and put it in the filler pointing down and it'll work fine. :thumbsup:

64383[/snapback]

And stick your tongue out to the LEFT, stand on the RIGHT leg only, point your free index finger to the sky and close one eye.

Wierdness accompanies anything with a "made in Italy" decal.

Rj

My wife's old car died, so I went out and bought her a neat Fiat Punto. Thing is, I couldn't get any fuel into it. Took 10 minutes to get as many litres in. I guess the vapour recovery system is blocked or something. It's being fixed under warranty, but did anyone else hear of a problem like that before?

64360[/snapback]

I've seen this several times although never on a Fiat, Thankfully they don't import them here any longer :D

All cars have a sealed fuel system now to control evaporative emissions. There is a vent solenoid usually located on top of the fuel tank that fails. When bad it is hard to add fuel because back pressure keeps shutting off the nozzle.

Sorry Big J, We'll get back to Guzzis now :mg:

No no, it was the "wierdness accompanies anything made in Italy "that made me laugh, and here we are extolling the virtues of an eccentric Italian motor bicycle to anyone who'll stand still long enough to listen. :P

You wierdo's :D