Bomber Boys

helicopterjim R.I.P.

Martin, you can ride in the East Kirkby Lancaster during its taxi-run - it only costs £150.00........ :o

64663[/snapback]

When I last flew 85 it cost me £35 an hour solo in a cesna 150, as talking balast in either a Jet Provost or Dominie (I can't remember which) 1989 some said about £2,000 an hour. No wonder they didn't give me many overfly hours :)

Intresting just finished reading Enemy Coast Ahead by Guy Gibson VC, DFC and a few others I forgot (awards that is). Unfortantly he didn't survive WWII so it was a very here and now perspective. He was lamenting that the Battle of Britan pilots might not be remebered in 10-20 years time. Athough slightly off track if anyone has Wispering Death (Beaufighter's over the Medaterainan) been looking for it for ages but on the intermet they are talking 45USD bit rich IMO. The idea of guys flying around at 25ft no terrian following radar auto pilot etc etc appeals to me for some odd reason.

I would happily bring my V11, let us know what is happening and will try to sort time off.

Cheers Gary

64664[/snapback]

No problem Gary. I'll put a notice in the meetings section in due course and ask Jaap to 'pin' it :D:mg:.

I think there were two.

I know the RAF Memorial Flight still have theirs.

Quick check of their webb site says there's another in Canada - that will be the one in the program then.

64660[/snapback]

Correct. There is one flying in Canada and it is the one in the program. Operated by the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum - CWH . There are still a few more on static display across Canada and hopes that at least one more will get airborne!

I recall that a significant portion of the troops used on the Raid on Dieppe were Canadians.

64641[/snapback]

About 95% were Canadians. Unfortunately they were the guineau pigs and tested most of the things you don't want to do in an amphibious landing (such as no air or naval support). D-Day was the improved version that learned from the lessons of Dieppe!

I also had a relative who fought at Dieppe and survived to fight at Normandy.

My Grandfather was a Spit mechanic over in Britain during the war. He was aiming to be a pilot but they changed the eye chart he had memorized and he flunked his eye exam. I would have loved to have heard some of his stories but Altzheimer's took his memories before I was old enough to really know anything.

My Grandmother's brother was killed liberating Holland. While she was alive she was regularly invited to join in their remembrance ceremonies. She went a few times at no cost to her.

I bought "The Battle of Britain" on DVD when I spotted it at the grocery store the other day. Great fighter plane footage!

Remembrance day is also an important day for me.

Rj