Bypassing the Oil Cooler

Marc B

for an educational note, I riped of the centauro engine it have, the oilwizzard. This shows how wrong things can go. See all the screws ( 7) in the picture. How much working hours does such a thing cost? The screws are only to close holes. Not to mention the weight. The whole oilpan including this weighs 4kg. I'm shure my V pan is less.

But the oil goes like

cold:

pickup>pump>filter>valve>engine

hot:

pickup>pump>filter>valve>cooler>engine

as a note picture is upside down.

I would like to see if the Breva pan is better, looks better anyway. Ghezzi had it mounted on the mgs01 too.

oliezooi.jpg

I'm with the boys on this one, ditch the cooler until ya can fix it,

and or plaining a trip to Death Valley.  My 76 Lemans, thats been

beefed up to 992 CC, cam'd, machined, ported, you name it.

It runs all day at around the same temp. as my v11sport.

And it most certainly doesn't have a cooler. 

Jedione68

65371[/snapback]

I agree wholeheartedly. I always thought that the oil cooler was pretty much un-necessary in all but the most hostile environments. The late model FI bikes do seem to run leaner and therefore hotter but since the vast majority of the heat is created at the top end and disposed of by finning, especially at low engine speeds where the problem of heat soak-back is most prevalent because at low RPM oil delivery to the top end is minimal so it can't effectively remove a lot of heat!

Having said that the squarefin motors dump heat a lot more effectively than the older roundfins and I know that the only time my oil gets much above 110*c is if I'm idling along in traffic in Canberra on days when the ambient air temp is in excess of 35*c. Once I'm moving at any speed above about 25kph again the temperature soon returns to sub 100*c, in fact for most of the year I think that the oil runns too cool if anything! How do I know this? Well the SP has an oil temp guage on it that is fairly accurate. Our race bike used to have an oil temperature dipstick which was quite interesting. That bike is fairly well warmed up and even when being flogged mercillessly at the 'Creek' on days where the temperature was over 35*c the oil temp never got above 130*c and as we run Mobil 1 4-T full synth in the racebike it doesn't worry me unduly. Most of the time it runs a lot cooler than that!

Bypassing the cooler will do no harm at all in most circumstances on any of the pushrod motors, the Hi-Cams are a different kettle of fish as they run very hot!

Pete

I agree wholeheartedly. I always thought that the oil cooler was pretty much un-necessary in all but the most hostile environments. The late model FI bikes do seem to run leaner and therefore hotter but since the vast majority of the heat is created at the top end and disposed of by finning, especially at low engine speeds where the problem of heat soak-back is most prevalent because at low RPM oil delivery to the top end is minimal so it can't effectively remove a lot of heat!

Having said that the squarefin motors dump heat a lot more effectively than the older roundfins and I know that the only time my oil gets much above 110*c is if I'm idling along in traffic in Canberra on days when the ambient air temp is in excess of 35*c. Once I'm moving at any speed above about 25kph again the temperature soon returns to sub 100*c, in fact for most of the year I think that the oil runns too cool if anything! How do I know this? Well the SP has an oil temp guage on it that is fairly accurate. Our race bike used to have an oil temperature dipstick which was quite interesting. That bike is fairly well warmed up and even when being flogged mercillessly at the 'Creek' on days where the temperature was over 35*c the oil temp never got above 130*c and as we run Mobil 1 4-T full synth in the racebike it doesn't worry me unduly. Most of the time it runs a lot cooler than that!

Bypassing the cooler will do no harm at all in most circumstances on any of the pushrod motors, the Hi-Cams are a different kettle of fish as they run very hot!

Pete

65469[/snapback]

Golly Pete, Mobil 1 4T synthetic?? I thought you swore on half digested camel drool? :P

Ciao, Steve G.

Golly Pete, Mobil 1 4T synthetic?? I thought you swore on half digested camel drool?  :P

Ciao, Steve G.

65531[/snapback]

For the race bike, for the road it's rancid elephant smegma every time :P

Pete

my 1225 daytona does without when it's not to hot.

you can conect this with a thing like this:

65407[/snapback]

Just one question: if the valve is closed the oil goes where it should go, means through the engine. Now, what happens when the temp.-valve opens and the two cooler connector holes are just closed, bolted without the bridge that Paul shows above? Is the oil-cooler sitting in the main stream or would the oil circulate in this case through the engine as well? (hope this language construct is clear enough to be understood :) )

Hubert

I don't think it will make a difference.

oil flow when valve closed (cold)

--------

.....|

--------

valve open

--------

....|....||

--------

Where || is the part Paul made (or the oil cooler)

and | is the internal bypass or regular flow through the motor.

so- with the valve open, the oil flows through Paul's part, but whether the valve is open or closed- the oil still flows through the motor. Just my guess.

edit- dang it, the spaces dont show up- ignore the periods- they are placeholders.

well, I didn't disasemble the valve, so I don't know if all oil goes trough the cooler when valve is open. When it also could take the bypass, why should it flow through the cooler? So just closing the holes, will give no oil when engine is warm. I suppose, who wants to try? :huh2::luigi:

But don't complain I told you to do that.

Guest jedione68
Just one question: if the valve is closed the oil goes where it should go, means through the engine. Now, what happens when the temp.-valve opens and the two cooler connector holes are just closed, bolted without the bridge that Paul shows above? Is the oil-cooler sitting in the main stream or would the oil circulate in this case through the engine as well? (hope this language construct is clear enough to be understood :) )

Hubert

65627[/snapback]

Cooler,

It's a great question with a strange old answer.

Go look in a 1970's Moto-Guzzi manual, first notice that

and how the oil goes through the engine.

Then look at some early 80's books and see that "Racers"

add an oil cooler to the same 1970's engine.

Now look at your v11, and you'll see Guzzi added a cooler

in the same fashion... so in turn. Take it off/cap it,

you have the same engine/oil pump/system since

pretty much to the beginng, a Guzzi V7sport.

Peace, rubbersidedown,

JEDIONE68