Norwegian MGC Summermeet 06

mdude

The Norwegian Guzzi Clubs summer/spring meet will be held at 2nd - 4th of June outside of Trondheim in the middle of Norway.

Especially for Engländer this is a nice opportunity: take the ferry from Newcastle to Bergen (24 hours), get sloshed on the boat, and experience some of the most breathtaking roads and nature (yes, really!) in Norway up to Trondheim.

Likewise: people coming up from Europe may take a ferry from Hanstholm in Denmark to Bergen. Or the usual route via Oslo, but then I suggest to drive via Røros (world heritage site).

The Meet has a friendly and intimate atmosphere in simple surroundings with 70 or so attendants. Most of them completely brainwashed Guzzisti and Laverdisti, but everyone is welcome.

A convenient stop on the way to Nordkapp, goffredo?

EDIT: theres also an Autumn Meet in the middle of august. Check www.motoguzzi.no or ask me.

• 3 weeks later...

I am planning on riding Norway next June. I just might be able to fit this in.

I was thinking of going up the coast to the Nordkapp...because it's there.

What kind of time frame am I looking at to make it all the way to Nordkapp and back? Is June too early to tackle the Nordkapp?

Plenty of hotels on the way to Nordkapp?

Any info is appreciated :grin:

I am planning on riding Norway next June. I just might be able to fit this in.

I was thinking of going up the coast to the Nordkapp...because it's there.

What kind of time frame am I looking at to make it all the way to Nordkapp and back? Is June too early to tackle the Nordkapp?

Plenty of hotels on the way to Nordkapp?

Any info is appreciated  :grin:

69457[/snapback]

A bit late on this, sorry. Difficult questions, all.

June is fine. But as I said; Norway isnt Spain, be prepared for the cold and the wet.

If you drive like a scolded cat, you could make Nordkapp in three days from Oslo or Bergen, perhaps faster. Thats on the mainroads. It is +/- 2100 km..... doh.... Dont suspect high average speeds, I manage about 85 km/h average (in car) on my drives from Oslo to Trondheim and that is quite fast...

If you want to take in a bit of scenery, take the smaller, more entertaining roads, relaxing a bit, you are looking at five to seven days I think. I have actually never driven this but I frequently drive about fourth of the distance from Oslo to Trondheim (520 km), and thats about 5,5-7,0 hours. Oslo to Bergen is about 7,5-9,0 hours, same distance but narrow roads and plenty of turns. So your choice of route will be crucial to amount of time spent.

I would give myself generous time driving from Bergen to Trondheim via the fjords/coast, because its so breathtaking, and there are several alternative routes and much to see. Those roads are NOT fast, and theres frequent ferries. Then a fast, efficient haul from Trondheim up north (scenery a lot like scottish highlands). The last 300 kms will be the most interesting ones here I guess.

Tip: No one from Norway actually enters the Nordkap-centre, because its a tourist ripoff and you will pay the white out your eyes to get in. The actual northernmost point is not here either. That is called Knivskjellodden (Knifes Egde Point) and is 5 kms past Nordkap.

Hotels: No problem, but bring a nicely updated map, buy it in Bergen/Oslo (The Statoil Maps are very nice, bought on the gas stations), and call a day or two before to make reservations along the route as you drive. Up north hotels are not that many.

In every biggish town there is a bike dealer, and most Norwegian mech's can handle any kind of bike.

Hope that this is useful

And how about the people in Norway, do they speak English, Or German or which language except Norwegian can someone speak in order to do basic things , like book a Hotel room , ask some directions, get some food, or this and that?

When is it finnaly starting to get good days , I mean for someone able to ride a motorcycle. Ist is raining or snowing most time , when do some days with some sun come out?

I've been planning to go Norway for sometime and specially for the scenery.

Was often thought it was "too far away" and didn't do anything, :blush:

Well..... B):bier:

And how about the people in Norway, do they speak English,

Mostly norwegian,

but english is OK with most people in the scandinavian countries,

everybody under 50 (or so) learned english in school and film

and TV is almost always on the orginal language (with subtitles)

so we are quiet used to hearing english.

So you should manage OK with english

Hi,

sounds close enough even for me....  :D

I will book this event in my agenda.

BTw, the fastest (flattest) way to Nordkapp is through Sweden

70143[/snapback]

Good boy, see you in June then. And you are quite right; its a lot faster through Sweden. Might get bored after 800 kms of forest, though :)

When is it finnaly starting to get good days , I mean for someone able to ride a motorcycle. Ist is raining or snowing most time , when do some days with some sun come out?

I've been planning to go Norway for sometime and specially for the scenery.

Was often thought it was "too far away" and didn't do anything, :blush:

Well..... B)  :bier:

70167[/snapback]

I'll start riding in mid April round Eastertime, but I live in the southern part of Norway. From mid May it is safe to ride longer trips, crossing the highlands. No snow after that, but up north (Trondheim upwards) mountain passes can be cold with temperatures closing on 0-5* C. The best climate for riding in Norway is June to end of September. This year we had 25-35* C in all of July. Think Tuscany in September-November, thats about the general picture of the Norwegian summer climate...