Painting Pickup Truck [NG, but some Italian, C]

Bill Hagan

Just posted this on wildguzzi, but the larger international membership here may have ideas I might not get there.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am toying with the (yes, slightly insane) idea of painting my little now-red Toyota pickup in Carabinieri livery, i.e., dark blue with a white top, with "CARABINIERI" in large white lettering! Really. Kathi is not quite as enthusiastic as I am, but she is humoring me. :o

My goal is for it to look something like this url, tho I'll not be able to add the blue lights, darn it: http://www.pubblicasicurezza.org/carabinie.../cc_carina2.jpg

As for the "shield" symbol, have been trying to find a high-resolution version of one, and also have a former Carb who now lives in Atlanta, looking thru his stuff and contacting friends in Italy for the "real thing." I may try use the one for "Comandi Regione Carabinieri (Veneto), 'cuz we love that part of Italy so much and I once worked with those guys; see http://www.pubblicasicurezza.org/carabinie..._distintivi.htm, but the resolution might not blow up well. I got all of these these from the basic website at http://www.pubblicasicurezza.org/carabinie..._cc/vei_cc.html

A friend who owns a FastSigns shop downtown (Italian, btw) says she can do up the lettering and copy the Carabinieri logo for c. $365. These would be applied with an adhesive to the new paint.

After that, I am unsure, thus this post, as I suspect several here know lots about automotive painting. Can I--on my own--simply spray some clear sealant over the applied letters and logos or is there a better answer? Any tips, suggestions, etc., on the basic paint job?

Bear in mind that this is a 1993 Toyota p/u, as basic as one can get, i.e., no AC or PS, and has 155K miles. It's perfect, tho, for intown living, and 3 of my neighbors have keys for it so they can run errands without asking. They always bring it back cleaned--occasionally detailed!--and gassed up, so it's a good deal. My point is that I am not trying to get a restoration-quality paint job, but just something reasonably good ... so I can add my fun Carabinieri stuff and confound my neighbors (even more) and embarrass my grown children. :D

Bill, I only say this, you shouldn’t make to many promotion about your plan to paint whatever in the colours of the “Carabinieri”

Carabinieri in Italy and for Italians, means DUMB.

We Italians use this word to humiliate somebody or some situation.

Ride around with a Polizia colours or even the name of it isn’t that special.

But with the name of Carabinieri, Jee I would think twice about it Bill.

BTW Polizia uses the right colour, azzurro.

Bill, I only say this, you shouldn’t make to many promotion about your plan to paint whatever in the colours of the “Carabinieri”

Carabinieri in Italy and for Italians, means DUMB.

We Italians use this word to humiliate somebody or some situation.

Ride around with a Polizia colours or even the name of it isn’t that special.

But with the name of Carabinieri, Jee I would think twice about it Bill.

BTW Polizia uses the right colour, azzurro.

67853[/snapback]

Grazie, Antonio.

I know that, but, for many reasons, I am fond--indeed, proud--of Carabinieri.

The ones I knew and worked with in Vicenza years ago were great guys. Moreover, three years ago, I worked with a Carb security detail and they, too, were super fellows. Even delivered some grappa to me at my hotel 'cuz they saw I liked it the night before. :drink:

I will also always be mindful of the 13 Nov 03 sacrifice. Besides, as a retired Army guy myself, I am not unfamiliar with insults, both of the light-hearted and mean-spirited variety. And, finally, Georgia (and most states have something similar) prohibits having "Police" lettered on your car or having blue lights, etc. "Polizia" is too close and I never had a warm and fuzzy for the Guardia Finanzia as I do for the La Benemerita.

So, thanks for the heads-up, but I am inclined to continue on. A Kiwi friend suggested on Wildguzzi that I paint it in a tricolore pattern, a la the Arai helmet of afew years ago. That is tempting, but I am inclined to be ... well ... dumb, and paint it in honor of the Arma dei Carabinieri.

Bill

And the Polizia in Italy think we are nuts for riding on Guzzis. I was talking with a motor officer in Milan- when I told him I liked my Guzzis, his response was (and I quote):

:bbblll:

He then looked over at my rented BMW R1150 (a real pig) and said 'bellisimo'

No accounting for taste, I guess.

Bill, do not be obstinate and do it even I was warning you.

At the other side, the names you mention are to weak for your project.

La Benemerita is, I think, the most far away.

Anyway, enjoy it.

I have to keep this thread short, ‘cuz there is now at the moment n o fantasy for me to make a discussion with sense. Sorry Bill, I will back to you with more stuff for a better argument.

Ciao