stoplight

Guest SantaFeRider

Guest SantaFeRider

good mornig guys and gals and Happy Thanksgiving.

Last night, riding back from work, I realized the stop light was not functioning in my newly acquired 2002 Le Mans.

When I disassembled the lens, I noticed it isn't working because both filaments are lit. :huh2:

Any suggestions from the wise and knowledgeable? :luigi: ...Or shall I just sit down to eat my turkey and worry about it another time? :food:

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SantaFeRider
I went through 2 or 3 rear light bulbs this riding season. One filament always seems to burn out pretty fast. I forget which one it was though.

68555[/snapback]

well, at least, you know it's working... in mine, it seems the stop circuit is always closed because the filament is lit without me depressing the brake lever or pedal...

Guest SantaFeRider
Why not go for LEDs instead?

Brighter and they come on quicker.

Guy  :helmet:

68557[/snapback]

so... you think the LEDs will solve my problem?

:rolleyes:

Guest ratchethack

SFRider, it sounds like one of the two brake light switches, front or rear, need adjustment. The front brake switch is adjustable at the brake lever. The rear is adjustable at the brake master cylinder. You need to get a bit less engagement travel on one (or both). :thumbsup:

Guest SantaFeRider
SFRider, it sounds like one of the two brake light switches, front or rear, need adjustment.  The front brake switch is adjustable at the brake lever.  The rear is adjustable at the brake master cylinder.  You need to get a bit less travel on one (or both). :thumbsup:

68565[/snapback]

Thank you ratchet, I'll try that... It must be the front switch, since I had to change the brake lever which was broken when I bought the bike. :bike:

It must be the front switch, since I had to change the brake lever which was broken when I bought the bike.  :bike:

68566[/snapback]

Last time I swapped a brembo lever I seem to remember a little piece at the switch area that was prone to getting loose and lost?? can't rembmeber what it was but I do remember disasemble with care or you'll be sharing floor space with :thing: trying to find the part.

Guest ratchethack

Yeah, it's a "special" tiny ball-bearing. What makes it special is that when it falls out, it homes in on your instep. Your instep has the perfect angle to launch the ball-bearing anywhere within 180 degrees into the furthest reaches of your garage, under the heaviest objects at the bottom of any stack of stuff. If there's a drain, it'll be sure to find it. :homer:

The good news is that you're past the point of concern now, since it either stayed in place or exited stage left when you replaced the lever. <_<

On my brand new bike they handn't located the bulb correctly on instalation.

When I blew a bulb I also found that the bulb can be seated incorrectly in the quality holder which allows the wrong filament to light. But it I think it may also been the bulb. I think the 21w filament did cause the fuse to blow, so this doesn't seem to be your problem. But worth checking.

It is also possible for the spring contacts to touch each other if they are bent out of shape.

This could cause both fillaments to light.

But if the bulb is in 180degrees wrong you will get full time high filament.

Guest SantaFeRider
Yeah, it's a "special" tiny ball-bearing.  What makes it special is that when it falls out, it homes in on your instep.  Your instep has the perfect angle to launch the ball-bearing anywhere within 180 degrees into the furthest reaches of your garage, under the heaviest objects at the bottom of any stack of stuff.  If there's a drain, it'll be sure to find it. :homer:

The good news is that you're past the point of concern now, since it either stayed in place or exited stage left when you replaced the lever. <_<

68571[/snapback]

I remember finding a tiny steel ball on the garage floor. I don't remember where did I place it, but what should I do with it when and if I find it?

Guest ratchethack

Man, count yourself lucky! Nice find. Those things are scarcer 'n hen's teeth. Don't let anybody else around here claim it's theirs! :lol: It goes in a hole on the inside of the lever carrier and operates the brake microswitch.

Guest SantaFeRider
Man, count yourself lucky!  Nice find.  Those things are scarcer 'n hen's teeth.  Don't let anybody else around here claim it's theirs! :lol:  It goes underneath the slotted adjustment screw against the plunger that operates the brake microswitch.

68583[/snapback]

do you mean it goes in like this?

45820976-M.jpg

would not that cause the plunger to be misaligned?