2000 V11 Sport - ITS ALIVE

jsciullo

We it looks like I overloaded my battery w/Gerbing gear. Charged it up yesterday and it started right up like nothing happened. Its nice to know the real reason for this issues and I will take better care next time. I had the jacket/gloves on full heat.

The next question - does it make sense to get a new battery if the alternator sucks?? Oh well, warm weather is near so I can put the Gerbing stuff away.

If I do get a battery, anybody have a line on inexpensive batteries. Im sure that Guzzi charges an arm and a leg for them.

Thanks,

Jim

There is no "cheap" battery that will suffice for these bikes. The gel cell batteries have a very good lifetime and their small package size belies their cranking power. That plus they mount lying down precludes using a standard vented lead acid battery to replace them. If you want to corrode your purty new bike, go ahead, just don't say you didn't know. Really, the gel cell batteries actually are a superior design and a tad expensive, but they are worth it. So much so, that I use the same small size gel cell battery that the V11 Sport uses in all four of my Guzzis. You're right that the heated garb is a bit too much, I've been noticing that myself the last few days when commuting home at midnight with the vest and grips on as well as the running lights. It's a little more noticeable now that I've slowed down some to save gas and the running rpm's are falling under the 4000 mark, which is about break even for the puny alternator when supplying that much power. Best advice I can give here is to shut off the heated stuff when you get within 15 minutes of home, keep it above 3000 rpm at that point and just endure the cold knowing that you'll be home safe and warm shortly.

You might also try reducing the energy consumption elsewhere.

For under six hundred us dollars(not cheap) you can convert your headlight to HID and save 20 watts.

You can convert your taillight to LED and save 4 watts(19 watts while braking)

But finding a decent LED light at this point is not an easy task.

The LED bulbs that replace 1157s are too dim.

you need the entire surface area of the lamp to be filled with very bright LEDs.

HP makes LEDs that are suitable. You may have noticed them in truck and bus lighting.