dead electrics

wambiker

Hi all, I was out today with a few friends :D when my tacho stopped working and I recalled that this was usually a sign that one of the relays was playing up. Then the headlamp and indicators started to play up. We stopped for lunch and there was no life from the starter. It bump started easily enough, but I decided to head for home before it got dark. About 20 miles later in the middle of nowhere on the denbigh moors it started to misfire and then eventual died altogether :( . So was recovered home. On checking, the battery was down to 10 volts which would I asume explain the none operating relays but why it did not recharge with the lights and any other loads off is worrying. Once the battery has recharged on the bench I will test the alternator output. I have a query about the standard battery, which seems for 2000 V11 to be a Y60 N24AL-B which is rated at 28 amp hour. The battery fitted is a Spark 500 with MG badge on it but only claims to be a 13 amp hour battery. Is this the standard battery or has it been changed. The bike is 5 years old and till I bought it in July had only done 5000 miles so if this is the original battery may be the cause of my problem. Any opinions or advice would be appreciated.

Cheers Gary. :bier:

Spark 500 is an original Guzzi fitment. These were subject of a MG service bulletin wherein they were changed for YuasaYTZ12S. I understand the problem is the Spark 500 is a low spec battery not up to the job.

My bike came with Spark 500, lasted a couple years & failed suddenly (out of warranty). Fitted a Hawker Odyssey cos I think they're good (tho expensive). You can't use a normal trickle charger on them, but they stay charged for ages even if not used.

KB

Spark 500 is an original Guzzi fitment. These were subject of a MG service bulletin wherein they were changed for YuasaYTZ12S. I understand the problem is the Spark 500 is a low spec battery not up to the job.

My bike came with Spark 500, lasted a couple years & failed suddenly (out of warranty). Fitted a Hawker Odyssey cos I think they're good (tho expensive). You can't use a normal trickle charger on them, but they stay charged for ages even if not used.

KB

68852[/snapback]

Why cant you use a trickle charger on your battery ( just in case i need a replacement) :wacko:

here is a link to the odyssey batt site

www.odysseybatteries.com/charging.htm

a batt tender etc is ok for keeping it charged.

an ordinary vehicle charger will only bring it up to approx 80% charged enough for the vehicle system to complete the charge once started.

come winter I just remove the -VE lead and leave the batt insitu in the chassis. come spring and ride time, reconnect, press start, ride off. I have found these batts are more resistant to voltage loss due to the cold than a standard lead acid cell.

As for cells suddenly failing its not uncommon, I work with forktruck traction batts and see it nearly every day

a rough guide

a starter batt likes to be kept fully charged

a traction batt likes been cycled discharged and then recharged

Why cant you use a trickle charger on your battery ( just in case i need a replacement) :wacko:

68853[/snapback]

The Hawker and Spark batteries need a higher voltage to get them to 100%, but you should not exceed 15V.

My 2Amp automotive charger exceeds 15V, and Battery Tenders® allegedly don't put out enough volts to get the battery fully charged.

For these reasons, and price, and weight, the Yuasa may be a better choice, however Hawker does have a list of chargers that it recommends.

However I am sticking with Hawker because I never had a Yuasa last more than two years.

Although others have had them last ten years.

The Spark is based on the Hawker Genesis which is less robust than the Hawker Odyssey, so I am hoping my Odyssey will last longer than my Spark did....

You can read more about Hawker batteries here.

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4245&hl=