Investigating GUZZI

Guest TNHillbilly

Guest TNHillbilly

Hello All,

Seeking forum advice in getting the right bike. I'm wanting to get back into biking and I've been spending the last few months trying to narrow down the perfect ride for me. I'm 59 and I hope to get in at least another 10 years or so of riding. Over the last few weeks I have narrowed the choice down to a BMW R1150R or a Guzzi. I was leaning towards the Guzzi Breva 1100. However, I don't think I want to wait for that model or stand in line for months.

That brings me to this forum. I have recently seen some of the smoking buys on the remaining "03 and '04 V11's. I'm interested in your collective opinions on the right V11's for my application. I want to ride the secondary roads in the areas around SW Virginia, NE Tennesee, and western NC. Great mountain roads! Most of my rides would be day jaunts of 150 - 250 miles, and the occasional over-nighter. The Ballabio, Cafe Sport, and Coppa Italia initially look good to me because of the bar heighth lending itself to a more upright position. Having said that I think the LeMans looks very appelling with its faring and I have seen one in the gallery here with bags. Can the other V11 be fitted with bags? I do wonder if the raked/leaning position on the LeMans would cramp the old bones. Size-wise I weigh 230 Lbs, 6'1"tall, 34" inseam and 36" sleeve length. My nearest MG dealer is Myer's in Ashville, NC. Any in-put on this shop?

Sorry if this is a little windy, but I want to make an informed choice and want information beyond the normal magazine reviews. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

TNHillbilly

I have owned an R1150R. Its a great bike with amazing handling, I still like it when i see it, but soooo lifeless and with quite a few niggles when it comes to comfort and maintenance. I sold mine after two years and bought an older V11 in order to ride something more special. I generally dont ride very long trips, so the driver involvement on medium trips and shorties down to the cafe is more important for me than comfort on continental crossings. I find the V11 spot on on this. And having to constant tinker with it is getting more and more fun.

The guys that have plumped for the Breva 1100 here in the Norwegian MGclub are extremely satisfied with it, and those guys have been hardcore guzzisti since I was a toddler, with some hairy machinery on their cv's. As far as I know there hasnt been major issues with the Breva at all. It is of course a much more refined and "commercial" ride than the old model, and a close competitor to the Beemer.

In my opinion the Breva looks way better than the R1150R and also have much better comfort than the Beemer (the seat on that one is awful), so your choice should be between hardcore oldstyle in the V11 and softer modernism in the Breva. Good luck!

Hello All,

Seeking forum advice in getting the right bike.  . . .

68928[/snapback]

Hey Hillbilly . . . I too was looking for a bike to last me a decade or more of just the type of riding you described. I initially thought long and hard about the new Breva, but chose a LeMans instead. I came from an aprilia SL mille, which is very similar to the LeMans, except for the orientation of the V-twin!

I lean more toward the sport side of riding, so I am very pleased with my LeMans. I initially was hell bent on getting a Coppa Italia, but every guzzisti I met told me they really appreciated the fairing on the LeMans at speed, so I changed my mind. When I saw the LeMans in person, it was a slam dunk.

BTW . . . you've come to the right place to make up your mind. This forum is the cat's meow, thanks to Jaap.

I'm 54 and it took me a while (2 mo.?) to come to the conclusion that my 02 Lemans

is just the best friggin' motorcycle in the world. I love it to death with a

mint 900ss Duc sitting next to it in the garage. 2 of my best ridin'

buddies have the R1150R and I think thats the next best thing but the

Guzzi is just such a joy with it's brute torque and growl. I just got back from

a Tues night 140mi New England cruise through the farm lands and I'm

still grinning. It just delivers that THRILL of riding like no other bike...

(except the Duc but....like I said I'm 54)

I often say "It's a BeemerDuc"

It carves 80mph sweepers like a brick and chugs through the little town

@ 35 like a locomotive....bang the bottom of one of those Mt. switch backs

down your way...a gear too high? Just roll on the throttle and giggle.

No bike I've ever owned gave me such confidence.

The motor talks to you...it's like a companion, a friend to tour the world with.

30+ yrs riddin' and many many bikes and feel

this is what I think a motorcycle should be.

Bear in mind I ride a lot and am made out of shark cartilage.

ie been holdin' on to clipons since the 80s 500mi days...no problem.

Best ergonomics for a LeMans....big tank bag. :D:2c:

Good Luck...hope you find your nitch and have an understandig wife. :D