45 Degree Speedo drive

Mike Stewart

Me again,

I am still waiting for the 45 degree speedo drive on the transmission. It is getting quite old riding with out a speedo. Does any one know if it is a 1 to 1 ratio through the 45 degree unit? Or does it increase or reduce revolutions to the speedo cable?

I have another observation on speedo needle bounce from the kink that occurs at the speedo head. I noticed when steering to lock to the right, that the speedo cable at the speedo head tightens up and causes the cable to kink. Just a thought! :bier:

Mike

Mike, do a web search for a Sigma BC 700 (or higher number) bicycle speedometer. They run about $25 max most places. It's pretty simple to put on a bike, highly accurate, useful in the extreme and unfortunately, not lit. There's a number of web sites with instructions on how to put one on a bike, but if you can't make it work, let me know and we'll get together on it.

Guest scott

Mike: Sorry to hear all the problems your '00 V11 Sport has given you over the past few months. I was able to get a new 45 degree drive from the Sacramento dealer within a few days (don't know if he has any in stock). I believe it's a 1 to 1 ratio but not sure. I also noticed that on my bike the speedo needle bounce is caused by the sharp turn the cable takes at the back of the speedo gauge. I slightly adjusted/moved the cable so now I only get speedo bounce at very low speeds.

Lastly, why are you selling the '02 Special Sport? Best wishes.

Hi Jeff,

The California Sport has great styling like the rest of the lineup and I mainly purchased it to replace my BMW R1100RSL for my two up bike. I bought it with out a test ride and while the bike is great, the riding position causes me back pain. After riding for an hour or so, my upper back starts cramping up (feels like I have a knife stuck in my back) and the pain stays with me for a day or so. I can ride all day on my V11Sport with the lower clip-ons and only can take at most a few hours on the California Sport. I could change the bars to a lower style, but it has the 30mm bar clamps and those would have to be changed also. The peg location would have to be changed as well with the lower bars. I just can't see putting hundreds of dollars into it to see if it cures my back pain.

Anyway, I just talked to Moto Italiano and the speedo drive is still on back order. I will give the dealer in your area a call.

Thanks,

Mike

That would be Performance Cycle at (916) 344-7911. Ask for Howard. I do all of my purchases there, usually by phone and he ships me my stuff when it arrives. Howard is easier to get to than the endless phone tree on long distance calls for me at Moto Italiano. They're good people, but if you can't get to them, they're not of much use to you. I don't go there much anymore.

I called Peformance Cycle yesterday and they did not have one in stock. They have only replaced one before and it sounds like Jeff was the one that received it. :helmet: I did not want to order one through them because I would be stuck with two coming in.

Mike