New (and frustrated) guy

sctt2525

Guest ratchethack
She likes being tied up like that! :)

Now THAT looks familiar! Mine likes being tied up the same way.

Great fun, ain't it? :whistle:

Evidently the 43 mm Marz is significantly different than the 40 mm forks, and they require altogether different dismanting procedures.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My recollection is : caps off, springs out.

Seems like ( in my early forks) the adjusting rods lift out as well.

399cde61.jpg

No,really! She likes being tied up like that! :)

69497[/snapback]

Hey now! Whats that other bike doing in your garage? It sure doesnt look like a Guzzi! :o There are some in here that dont take to that kind of thing :whistle: Lol of course I'm just pulling your leg.

That 'other ' bike is a 1990 Honda GB500 Tourist Trophy. But it is not the Maneating Honda :

1de23a94.jpg

Now, I know you didn't mean to pull my leg . . . -_-

( Andy, no riding for me for a few weeks ) :(:(

Must be 18,000 km.

I'm about an hour south of Nashville in Lower Middle Muletown, er, Columbia. We have a 'non-stocking' dealer in Nashville but I do most my own service. The forks aren't bad to do just time consuming. Supporting the bike and measuring the oil are the two most difficult aspects.

You don't have a shop manual? Or Richardson's "Guzziology?" Both helpful when on a long term relationship with your Guzzi.

What happened to Destination Motorsports? Aren't they nearby?

69469[/snapback]

Docc, is Ducati of Nashville still open? I think they are the "non-stocking anything dealer" :helmet: Last time I stopped to get oil/filter for my Le Mans, V11 California and my 900SS, oil and filters were about it. Not many bikes, no Guzzi's at all. Was wondering if they were still there?

I haven't been up there in months. I believe they can still order parts. ( That may not mean much right now with Piagguzzi taking the show to NYC).

We can only hope that circumstances will allow another , more stable, dealer to take on the line. With evrything that's happened, I don't see Duc-N'ville ever making the commitment.

I haven't been up there in months. I believe they can still order parts. ( That may not mean much right now with  Piagguzzi taking the show to NYC).

We can only hope that circumstances will allow another , more stable, dealer to take on the line. With evrything that's happened, I don't see Duc-N'ville ever making the commitment.

69559[/snapback]

That is kind of the same feeling I have. I also own a Ducati I bought new there in 1995 when it was Colliers. The only help I need with it is adjusting the valves. I don't really feel comfortable leaving it there anymore. The Guzzi's are still under warantee but they really haven't needed anything. I guess if they do, they will have to go to Speaker's in Ohio. Boy this is way off topic!

Guest trispeed

I wouldn't worry about replacing the oil until at least 10,000 miles. Has the damping gone away? If not, I would leave it alone. There isn't much that wears inside a fork (compared to an engine) and the oil is under little strain, so it lasts a very long time.

The 43mm forks require disassembly before oil change or spring removal. I have found out the hard way.

Good thing they work well from the factory so we don't really need to do anything to them anyway.

Guest trispeed

can't get the spring out without taking all the internals out. This applies to the 43 mm forks, only. You will need to unbolt the damper rod from the bottom ( axle out for access) There doesn't seem to be any other way to get the spring out or even check oil level without doing this. The up side is that the forks work great from the factory and you can just ride it and forget about them until the 18,000 mile oil change.

Guest jedione68
Thanks guys, I had already found that link though. I was hoping that somewhere I could find a more step by step, maybe with pics. There is a guy near here (Maryville BTW) that might can talk me through it.

I have not had a bad experience with my local dealer. I did drive to ATD to buy mine and save some $$$ though. I'm awfully cheap to have the dealer service.

You guys ever want to do the Dragon (20 min. from home here) let me know- comfy couch you can sleep on.

Docc- Where in middle TN?

S

69423[/snapback]

Getting ready to change my fork oil myself, I'll try to take as many

notes as possible for ya if ya havent already done it.

More importantly, a buddy of mine and myself have been dying

to ride the Dragon, ever since we watched "Bitten by the Dragon"

If we ever make it out there from Cali, hopefully this spring/summer,

I'll look you up. You could give us the tour!!! Thats got to great having

that road in your back yard.

Later, rubber side down,

Jedione68

...Thats got to great having

that road in your back yard...

69859[/snapback]

Hey, Dave!

Come for a ride in my back yard on Glendora Mountain Road/Glendora Ridge Road!

GMR is about 200 curves in 14 miles:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=from%3A+E+Ea...16894&f=d&hl=en

And GRR is about 150 curves in 12 miles:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=from%3A+glen...16894&f=d&hl=en

And and Don's back yard, there's Little Tujunga Road, about 150 curves in 10 miles:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=from%3A+Litt...08447&f=d&hl=en

And when you get bored with those, I guess there's always that little 75-mile stretch of road in Rich's back yard, ANGELES CREST HWY:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Angeles+Cres...,0.646442&hl=en

w

Guest jedione68
Hey, Dave!

Come for a ride in my back yard on Glendora Mountain Road/Glendora Ridge Road!

GMR is about 200 curves in 14 miles:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=from%3A+E+Ea...16894&f=d&hl=en

And GRR is about 150 curves in 12 miles:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=from%3A+glen...16894&f=d&hl=en

And and Don's back yard, there's Little Tujunga Road, about 150 curves in 10 miles:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=from%3A+Litt...08447&f=d&hl=en

And when you get bored with those, I guess there's always that little 75-mile stretch of road in Rich's back yard, ANGELES CREST HWY:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Angeles+Cres...,0.646442&hl=en

w

69898[/snapback]

Young Wallace,

Been missing you and Rich "Who-La-Geen".

I'll be looking forward to our next ride

and the invite. Not sure if I can make the Toy Rally

down south, used up too many hall-passes!

Dying to see your new Guzzi, and look forward to

the peace of mind of not being eatten alive by the "Fire-Storm"

We'll have to plan our route to the first "Ortaga" lookout meeting

comming up in Jan. 2006. Maybe we'll even see Miss "205 MPH" Robinson.

Say hi to Don too. And wish your son Happy Holidays from me.

Later,

Jedi

...We'll have to plan our route to the first "Ortaga" lookout meeting

comming up in Jan. 2006.  Maybe we'll even see Miss "205 MPH" Robinson...

69900[/snapback]

Regrettably, I'll be missing the first Lookout gathering, as I'll be exploring Mayan ruins and Caribbean reefs that weekend-- somebody's gotta do it, ya know. But, let's try to do something another weekend in Jan-- A little GRR (sounds kinda mean, eh?) perhaps? Then, I'll be looking forward to making the run down to The Lookout in Feb.

Gotta get a buddy belt at the bike show so owen can experience the ballabio for the first time.

w

No I didnt replace the seals. I didnt even completely unscrew the tops off the forks. Just enough to drain/pump out the old oil & refill with new oil.

69481[/snapback]

This procedure is unlikely to get all of the old oil out of the cartridges. Even if it did, the cartridges would need to be bled when the fork legs are refilled. Furthermore, how would one know how much oil to put in? I know it's a pain, but there is no substitute for disassembly.