regulator

wambiker

I've been trying to find out why my battery failed to charge up with the engine running the other day and left me beside the road. I,ve checked the alternator no shorts and a healthy 85 volts ac with the yellow leads disconected. When I disconnected the regulator leads there was no continuity between the leads and the body on 5 of the wires but on the black lead (it's black coming out of the regulator but connects to a red/green wire in the loom) there is 1400 ohms resistance on a 2000 scale. As far as I can tell this means the regulator is knackered :( , can anyone confirm this for me before I try to find another one.

Cheers Gary. :bier:

I don't know of anyone that's taken the resistance measurements of a regulator on all of the leads to establish a good/bad relationship. I'm not certain that you could in any event. The Ducati Electronica regulator uses some form of balanced thyristor setup vice the more common bridge rectifier. I'm not certain they can even be read with a meter. The best trouble shooting method you have at this point is to re-connect the regulator, start the bike and then measure the voltage across the battery as you rev the engine. If you don't show any voltage increase whatsoever as the rpms rise beyond 4 or 5 thousand rpm you can pretty much count on the regulator being bad.

One alternative replacement is the ElectroSport ESR510

I wish Euromotor Electrics would produce a tapered shaft version of the EnDuraLast 450 Alternator Kit. 450 watts would make for a pretty nice change on the Guzzi system.

I wish Euromotor Electrics would produce a tapered shaft version of the EnDuraLast 450 Alternator Kit. 450 watts would make for a pretty nice change on the Guzzi system.

69636[/snapback]

Amen to that! How about a group buy to motivate them?

Taking the voltage measure should work. I do remember the manual has some resistance measure for the regulator. Mine was out of spec by only a little yet the reg was definately bad.

(Can't get to my manual downstairs right now for the bum leg :( )

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT:

No, it was the alternator that has impedence specs that make me suspect my output is not all it could be. I diagnosed the regulator because the battery would throw 12.7 but the voltage never got above 13v with the engine revved to 4k.

Edited by docc

I took a closer look at the aftermarket alternator. Worth reading those charts!

450 w sounds great but that's at 10000-12000 rpm. Just like the stock unit makes 350w ( at 10000rpm).

Looks like it would still be a 50-70w improvement at normal cruising revs of 3500-4200.(I'm thinking electric jacket).

Pricey unit at around 450 USD but am I reading that includes an upgraded regulator/rectifier?