Metzler Z 6 sport touring tires

bigbikerrick

My local honda dealer has a set of these metzlers on his rack that he is willing to give me a great deal on. Anyone here have any opinions on these either good or bad? Sorry about staritng a tire thread, folks.... :blush:

69970[/snapback]

On my 2nd set of Z6's . Never had a problem with them . Give them a go ,you should get 9000+ k out of them depending on how hard you are on the throtle.

I've got Sportec M1's that came on my Nero Corsa that are great. I have the Z6's on my 1100RT Beemer and they work well. The old Bridgestones that came on my 02.5 Sport Naked, not so good.

Wick

My local honda dealer has a set of these metzlers on his rack that he is willing to give me a great deal on. Anyone here have any opinions on these either good or bad? Sorry about staritng a tire thread, folks.... :blush:

69970[/snapback]

Pirelli Dragon Stradas not-so-evil twin... Muuuuuuch better than the Z4s!

Guest ratchethack

Went to Z6's from M-1's about 2K miles back. I LOVED the M-1's. The M-1's are the best all-around mountain riding tires I've ever ridden on, but I wanted to find out how much grip I'd give up for what I expect will be 50% more mileage with the Z6. So far, I haven't been at all disappointed, and I haven't given up that much. I've got wear all the way to the edges of the rear Z6. I reach the adhesion limit a little earlier heeled hard over, but they're every bit as predictable and confidence-inspiring as the M-1's, and absolutely fantastic on wet and partially wet surfaces, sand, marbles, etc.!!! I was surprised that they fall into turns quicker than the M-1's, so much so that it took awhile to get used to the difference. I absolutely love these tires! :wub: At this rate I'm likely to go for another set next time around. Today's Metz Sport/Tourer is a dream come true relative to many of the best I've ridden on many years back. Works fabulously as a pure Sport tire for this Sport Geez... -_-

Guest Steve_W

It's not a Guzzi but the Z6s on my Triumph Trophy work marvelously. I've found one odd quirk: The front wants to tuck in for about the first mile or so when they're cold. The tire pressures are what Metzeler recommends for the Trophy, 36 psi front, 40 rear. Once they've gone that mile they're everything Ratchethack says. Right now they have about 5k miles on 'em and appear to have plenty left. Be prepared to have people tell you the back tire needs to be replaced even when it's new, since the tread pattern doesn't cross the middle of the tire and everyone assumes it's bald!

I've got Sportec M1's that came on my Nero Corsa that are great. I have the Z6's on my 1100RT Beemer and they work well. The old Bridgestones that came on my 02.5 Sport Naked, not so good.

Wick

69986[/snapback]

Thanks, Wick, yes the "flintstones" on my 2.5 naked are garbage also, the front especially!

Went to Z6's from M-1's about 2K miles back.  I LOVED the M-1's.  The M-1's are the best all-around mountain riding tires I've ever ridden on, but I wanted to find out how much grip I'd give up for what I expect will be 50% more mileage with the Z6.  So far, I haven't been at all disappointed, and I haven't given up that much.  I've got wear all the way to the edges of the rear Z6.  I reach the adhesion limit a little earlier heeled hard over, but they're every bit as predictable and confidence-inspiring as the M-1's, and absolutely fantastic on wet and partially wet surfaces, sand, marbles, etc.!!!  I was surprised that they fall into turns quicker than the M-1's, so much so that it took awhile to get used to the difference.  I absolutely love these tires! :wub:  At this rate I'm likely to go for another set next time around.  Today's Metz Sport/Tourer is a dream come true relative to many of the best I've ridden on many years back.  Works fabulously as a pure Sport tire for this Sport Geez... -_-

70066[/snapback]

You have convinced me 100% Ratchethack, thats all I need to know ! Thank you, Sir. :bike:

It's not a Guzzi but the Z6s on my Triumph Trophy work marvelously.  I've found one odd quirk:  The front wants to tuck in for about the first mile or so when they're cold.  The tire pressures are what Metzeler recommends for the Trophy, 36 psi front, 40 rear.  Once they've gone that mile they're everything Ratchethack says.  Right now they have about 5k miles on 'em and appear to have plenty left.  Be prepared to have people tell you the back tire needs to be replaced even when it's new, since the tread pattern doesn't cross the middle of the tire and everyone assumes it's bald!

70075[/snapback]

Hey Steve, since the middle is smooth, how can you tell when they are worn down the center? :homer:

Guest ratchethack
Hey Steve, since the middle is smooth, how can you tell when they are worn down the center? :homer:

Steve must be out. It's only a hair over an inch between sipes in the center, so you can easily tell.

Guest Steve_W

70087[/snapback]

The big "POP" when it blows, maybe? :P

Ratchethack is right; I can see some wear on the rear now from the 5k miles I've put on the set.

• 1 month later...
Guest golden goose

Ran the stock Bridgestones to sheer at less than 2k miles. This during break-in! Wenr for my first and only set of Metzeler M1s next. Absolutely butter-smooth tires! As in melted butter. Which is what they felt like for their mercifully short lives of about 1500 miles riding the Angeles Crest north of LA.

I figured it was either just me, or it was that particular set of tires until I spoke with a buddy of mine I had been missing on the Crest for a few weekends. Unbeknownst to me, he had installed some M1s on his Kawasaki 600. His lasted much longer, about 1600 miles. His comment almost word for word was "The nicest thing about the M1s is that you can literally watch them disappear between rides, assuming you managed not to slide off the road." He went back to Dunlops with the exclamation that he would never vary again.

I have since spoken with many riders and no one has ever had the same experience. Everyone loves the M1 Sportecs.

Next I put Z4s on, and was stunned at the difference. I no longer had to clinch my lower orifice everytime I went into a corner, wondering if the tires would unhook. Ran 2 sets of them, and was disappointed when I went to get my third set to find that they were no longer available.

Not knowing what to expect, I slipped on the Z6s. Best tires I have ever ridden on. Incredible stick, and on my K1200S, I got 5000 miles out of the first set.

Highly recommend the Z6s.