Guzzi in UK "BIKE" magazine

Martin Barrett

Despite being disillusioned with the bike press, winter is not a good time to break the habit. I might have been able to skip one issue but have been suckered back in.

In the Jan 06 issue of BIKE not only do they mention the Norge amongst the highlights of the Millan show but have a 6 page travelogue, written by a journalist from the Times, along the Adriatic Highway. He's riding his 2001 California Stone. I couldn't believe it as I thumbed through, there was a picture of this California, thinking whats that doing there?

In the article he mentions an overnight oil leak (the first time he has experienced it) which he attributes to oil in the airbox following a days high speed blast, but no other mechanical mishaps. The article is mainly about the places visited but he makes an observation:

"...a huge number of German couples in campervans and on BMWs. They don't acknowledge me and I begin to realise why. For them, motorcycling is not about romance or freedom or camaraderie - it is simply the most efficient way for two people to travel."

They do have a side bar "WHY A GUZZI CALIFORNIA" in which they extole its virtues.

I'm starting to think that perhaps the tide has started to turn. But towards the end of the magazine there is an article in the BIKE CHOOSER series on ITALIAN EXOTICA. " From learner-legal GP bikes to full on superbike racers, here are the Italian jobs made for dream garages. Some are super rare most are not"

It features: MV Agusta F4 750; Gagiva Mito; Benelli TNT; Bimota SB8; Aprilia RSV; Ducati 888; Cagiva Xtra-Raptor (Forrest will be happy at that); Ducati 996R; Mondial Piega (did they actually sell any of these?) and the Aprilia Tuono. No Guzzi, they could have grouped together either the pair of Ducatis or Aprilias and put in the V11 or even Sporti/Daytona. Okay they don't have the performance of the others but there again neither does a Mito, it's only a performance bike if you're 17, once you've a licence the RS250 would be more valid.

But shouldn't complain, as only nice things were said earlier :)

I think the MGS 01 Corsa should be in a top ten Italian bikes wanted list. Just because you cant get one doesnt mean you shouldnt WANT one :mg: Btw I was just reading my new issue of MotorCyclist magazine & I really am starting to like that new Tuono! Has anyone seen it at the bike show yet?

I think the MGS 01 Corsa should be in a top ten Italian bikes wanted list. Just because you cant get one doesnt mean you shouldnt WANT one  :mg:  Btw I was just reading my new issue of MotorCyclist magazine & I really am starting to like that new Tuono! Has anyone seen it at the bike show yet?

70250[/snapback]

I TOTALLY agree on the MGS(not MSG) and that new Tuono looks sooo awesome... I think I've finally reached a decision on a second bike in the stable....and the Winner is......Tuono Now I need a test ride and if it rides as nice as she looks baddabing. :food:

Has anyone seen it at the bike show yet?

70250[/snapback]

I saw the new Tuono at Milan.

It looks as if it were beaten with an ugly stick :(

maybe it's just the daft paint job?

re: Martin's exotica. Maybe we should resign ourselves to flying below the radar. If there were a Guzzi on every corner, maybe we wouldn't feel as special.

I saw the new Tuono at Milan.

It looks as if it were beaten with an ugly stick :(

maybe it's just the daft paint job?

re: Martin's exotica. Maybe we should resign ourselves to flying below the radar. If there were a Guzzi on every corner, maybe we wouldn't feel as special.

70254[/snapback]

UK mags must be having a turn Classic Bike are running a seven pager on tonti bikes in Jan 06 mostly 750's. Buy it and look out for your truly I supplied a lot of the usless info.

Guzzi did well in the January 06 Cycle World too. Had a good write up on the Grisso as being the "best yet" and a couple of full page adds for Gisso and 1100 Breva.

Looks like Piagio $$ has finally turned the corner for MG :thumbsup:

UK mags must be having a turn Classic Bike are running a seven pager on tonti bikes in Jan 06 mostly 750's. Buy it and look out for your truly I supplied a lot of the usless info.

70274[/snapback]

I'll look at that. Classic Bike was almost unrecognisable last time I saw it [last week in England]. Could be a change for the better, methinks?

I just want Guzzi to sell enough bikes to stay in buissines and maybe

have a little factory support. Most people are riding bikes that are all

looks or not applicable to riding on public roads....ie; most of what you

paid for can't (shouldn't) be used.

Beemer's are nice but got no Shake Rattle and Roll

Ducs are wonderful but who wants to always be above 4K rpms

Big bore multis...take it to the track or flush your money down the drain.

HD..buy the required costume and stand around next to it but don't be carving

up 80mph sweepers.

V11s the best...any other opinion is by someone that dosen't get it.

I would say IMHO but there isn't anything humble about my opinion

regarding my LeMans...it's poetry in motion. Not something that can

be defined by numbers...except grins per mile.

My magazine article would simply say:

"It's the motorcycleiest motorcycle I've ever motorcycled on."

Think I could get a job as a writer?

(Gimme another beer...I got a deadline comming up)

:drink:

The Griso also got great reviews in the swedish BIKE magazine lately (or was it Allt Om MC??? or MC-nytt??? I always read these magazines halfdrunk at the pub on saturday afternoons....), the writer thought it was nearly to good to be true, clearly having had bad experiences with Guzzis in the past. He wrote that it warmed his heart that Guzzi, with all that glorious history, finally was back with a brilliant everyday bike. He raved about the design and detailing, and the comfort and easy handling.

The only stick he gave it was a notchy clutch and bad location of the indicator switch (aprilia...).

The Norge has also been given thumbs up in most reviews over here, as a viable alternative to the Beemers. Smaller tourers like that is big over here, in contrast to the 1300-1800 cubic monsters.

By the way, anybody noticed that the cans on the new Tuono RSV is the same as the Mg Tis? look at the details on everything from connector tube (which is different) and backwards.

With the honourable exception of Motorcycle Sport & Leisure, I cannot read the UK motorcycle press. It is appalling. The only other magazine I had any time for was the late, great Cycle.

I was in the local dealer on Saturday looking at some Grisos and suchlike. They are better in the flesh than in photos. If anyone is interested, the dealer in Newcastle upon Tyne (M&S Motorcycles) will have demonstrators in after the New Year.

The salesman also said the "the new, fully-faired tourer" will be in the showroom in February...........

mike

Guest AdamofKC
By the way, anybody noticed that the cans on the new Tuono RSV is the same as the Mg Tis? look at the details on everything from connector tube (which is different) and backwards.

70349[/snapback]

Also did anyone notice that in the latest issue of Motorcyclist, the had a write-up about the Griso! They liked it, but then again, the American media has to like it or they can kiss the advertising cood-bye.

Also, there is a Guzzi ad in said magazine for the Breva.

Here is something interested in regards to the Griso and the new Tuono. They have the same dashboard, just with some minor changes!

70349[/snapback]

Are you sure you're looking at the right pipes there buddy? I don't see any similarities outside they are both Titanium in color I don't think the Aprilia cans are even Ti just a darker Alum. I think youre smoking something