Yee Hah! FrankenSport is getting it's papers.

callison

Tomorrow, I head over to Oklahoma City to get the paperwork for a new VIN on FrankenSport. Then it's a trip to the Tag Office, pay a bunch of registration fees, get the new license plate and the beast is back on the road. Now, I can start trouble shooting the blowing fuse problem. Looks like it's going to be a very Merry Christmas! 25˚F in the morning is a bit too dear to go riding in though. At least the 27 months of rebuilding and paperwork are finally coming to a close!

V11SportTTmodII.gif

:mg:

I congrat... But you passed an inspection with the thing dying on you all the time? Maybe you should just stick an old penny(pre1984?) in the fuse slot and be done with it eh? :lol:

Anyway your a monument to what can be done with a lot of time and a whole lotta patience. :bier:

I dont want to be a party pooper but shouldnt you fix the fuse blowing problem before spending the $$$ registering the bike? Lol you've had your share of fun getting the bike to this point though. This guy is probably hiding in a loose wire somewhere :thing: You should be proud of the bike...it looks good :thumbsup:

I dont want to be a party pooper but shouldnt you fix the fuse blowing problem before spending the $$$ registering the bike? Lol you've had your share of fun getting the bike to this point though. This guy is probably hiding in a loose wire somewhere  :thing: You should be proud of the bike...it looks good  :thumbsup:

70684[/snapback]

The fuse only blows when I'm on the bike, moving, and opening the throttle suddenly. So, to trouble shoot it, it has to be street legal. I've tried any number of things that ought to locate the problem without the bike on the street and in motion to no avail. So now, I can at least start trouble shooting again. I'm thinking at this point that it's the seat getting depressed from my weight under acceleration and pushing a relay or wiring harness connection. Of course, it could just be a relay too, although they've been replaced already.

Congrats, to get her on the road soon.

I notice the WP then again is the motor from the 1100 ie? and what about the gearbox and drive shaft, did they fit O.K. on a V11 swingarm??Where do they came from?

:bier:

70703[/snapback]

VERY NICE and back from the dead!

Are the wheels a lighter shade of silver?

70714[/snapback]

I'lljust go back over the details lightly. My neighbor backed into me in September of 2003 and I impacted him going fast enough to bend a lot of stuff up front and the frame. I got a (Ducati?) wheel off of eBay, spares from my garage, brake disks from Joe Camarda and initially, a set of LeMans forks from Al Roethelisberger. I replaced the LeMans forks with WP's sourced from Guzzi Reboot Spares as well as a 1996 Sport 1100i frame from the same place. The 1996 frame got the torque arm anchor re-located and the steering lock tab cut back 1 centimeter to clear the V11 Sport fork tree. The rims have been bodercoated white, the frame is a sparkly silver powdercoat and the side plates are from a Sport 1100i (I had some black powdercoated sideplates but managed to severely strip them so a replacement set was purchased from Guzzi Reboot Spares - Pete should be living the life fantastic now I've thrown so much money his way). Other than than that, the bike really is very close to stock. Engine, swingarm, wiring, all that stuff, are from the 2001 V11 Sport TT. The airbox is pretty much held in place by the top hardware and friction. None of the bottom mounts are there on the frame so the airbox didn't get secured at that end. A lot of spine mounted parts need some sort of tomfoolery to make them fit because everything is different. Still it runs, it just has this truly nasty habit of blowing the fuse if you open the throttle suddenly. Run gently, it gives no problems whatsoever. You just can't run it the way you're supposed to able to run one of these beasts. I'll start fixing that right after I have the plates on and it's street legal again. Lest you think that I could have started that a while ago, consider that most states confiscate an unregistered vehicle when they catch an offender.

Tomorrow, I head over to Oklahoma City to get the paperwork for a new VIN on FrankenSport. Then it's a trip to the Tag Office, pay a bunch of registration fees, get the new license plate and the beast is back on the road. Now, I can start trouble shooting the blowing fuse problem. Looks like it's going to be a very Merry Christmas! 25˚F in the morning is a bit too dear to go riding in though. At least the 27 months of rebuilding and paperwork are finally coming to a close!

:mg:

70681[/snapback]

Nice! Very elegant. :thumbsup:

Which fuse is blowing?

Nice!  Very elegant.  :thumbsup:

Which fuse is blowing?

70720[/snapback]

The ECU fuse. It's weird. I hope no one else ever encounters this problem. I'll be able to resolve it now that it can go on the road.

Hey Carl, I was thinking about your bike and how you could test it. I have a piece of equipment at work that I use as a datalogger. It can read from volts down to millivolts fluctuations for longer than you care to do it. The drawback is that it needs a PC to plug into. I have a laptop also if you want to borrow them sometime. You could throw it all in a backpack and go for a ride while logging the voltage on various outputs. I think it has two or three inputs on the logging device so you could probe multiple points. I'm at home now, so I'll have to look at work to see.

My hypotheses (I have two) are that either the ECU is running hot (bad component?) or that you have a bare wire shorting to the frame. Neither are very good though, because IIRC you have replaced the CPU at least once and you would have noticed a grounded wire since you obviously rewired the bike.

Edit: here's the tool- looks like it will run on a mac (although I don't have the software....I might be able to get it).

http://www.vernier.com/mbl/labpro.html

Carl,

I have the wire harness from my 2000 V11 Sport, $50.00 and it's yours. :grin: At least this would eliminate about 75% of the electrics that could be causing the problems. And it will give you something to do on those cold Oklahoma days :homer:

Mike

The ECU fuse. It's weird. I hope no one else ever encounters this problem. I'll be able to resolve it now that it can go on the road.

70729[/snapback]