Greasing frount UJ

dangerous

I've a big ride comming up next w/e so decided I'd do a little oil n greasing... ok now I have the grease gun and nosel that I used on my 1100i sport but I'm buggered if I know how to get to the frount universal joint... any ideas guys???

Bikes a 04 V11 Corsa

If you can find, or bend a fitting to the right angle you can grease the front nipple at any time. I have done mine twice, the first time was when I first got the bike. Then recently when I the changed tyres. I bought a budget flexible hose which I can bend enough to fit through the swing arm onto the nipple with the wheel and bevelbox removed. When removing the rear wheel I find it easier to drop the brake caliper and then remove the wheel and bevel box together and then when refitting it I "roll" the wheel and box forward onto the driveshaft on a small piece of wood. The spacer is a real pain to get in place when trying to refit the axle. I normally hold it in place with a large screwdriver from the left hand side while refitting the axle. There are other ways of removing and refitting the rear wheel but this way works for me.

Where are you off to, and have you got that bike sorted out yet?

Rob

The thing is with my 1100i sport there was a hole biger nuff to get the grease gun through in the steel guard/ring that surounds the frount UJ.

With this bike I cant even see the grease nipple theres only holes in the guard to remove the UJ bolts.... still puzzling me.

Guest ratchethack

Hey Dangerous! I never knew this worked with the 1100i. So why didn't they make it work with the V11? I'm here to tell you it definitely doesn't. <_<

Awhile back I was thinking of drilling an optimally placed "access" hole in the UJ shroud. I've had the swingarm off twice, and remember taking the shroud off for the purpose of drilling it, yet somehow never did. Since the memory ain't what it once was, :blush: I'm wondering if I discovered it wouldn't work somehow...

So has anyone done this? :huh2: If so, pls. advise!

Awhile back I was thinking of drilling an optimally placed "access" hole in the UJ shroud.  I've had the swingarm off twice, and remember taking the shroud off for the purpose of drilling it, yet somehow never did.  Since the memory ain't what it once was, :blush:  I'm wondering if I discovered it wouldn't work somehow...

So has anyone done this? :huh2:  If so, pls. advise!

70936[/snapback]

I haven't yet, but coincidentally its on my list of things to do within the next month. I will be sure to take pictures and do a write-up.

I end up taking the rear wheels off, carefully,,,, Carefully, lowering the rear hub to a level that you can reach through, from the back, to the front grease nipple. Even then I had to buy a special mini grease gun with a swivle end to get to it.

I look at it this way, it gives me a chance to grease the hub splines and clean up the rear axle.

Ciao, Steve G.

Is my 02 LeMans something different?

"I ended up resorting to a "needle" schnozzle with a little home bending ...

Works great."

The schnozzle wuz about $4.00

Wheel off... done deal

70968[/snapback]

Yeah heard ya the 1st time thanks..... but what the hell is a 'schnozzle' ??? I have a flexy extention on a small grease gun that I use, works well on the rear two nipples.

Hey Dangerous!  I never knew this worked with the 1100i.  So why didn't they make it work with the V11?  I'm here to tell you it definitely doesn't. <_>

Bloody Itialians.... why change something that works ahhhh, next they will try hydo tappits which will not work correctly :luigi:

and I'm sitting here in my PJ's going...BIKES HAVE GREASE NIPPLES? :o

See I thought they were left to Tractors and old VW's. I don't know if I even have a grease gun around anymore and the one I had on the farm was Huuuuge like the size of a Big caulking gun with a lever and a foot long hose out the end :huh2: I guess Guzzi's ARE the Tractors of motorcycles. NOW where do I get a mini grease gun with a bendy nozzelly thingamabob. So I can get at the Doohicky and make things go smooooooth. :rasta:

Yeah heard ya the 1st time thanks..... but what the hell is a 'schnozzle' ??? I have a flexy extention on a small grease gun that I use, works well on the rear two nipples.

Bloody Itialians.... why change something that works ahhhh, next they will try hydo tappits which will not work correctly :luigi:

70973[/snapback]

Shnozzle..nozzle.... B)

All the ends of the grease guns come out to a larger coupling that fits over and

snaps on to the zerk fitting (this is what there's no room for) but they make one that comes down to a point..like a needle.

It takes 3 hands to keep the pointy end pressed into the zerk while you pump the gun

but it works like a charm. The wife helped me.

Sorry for being flipant.

Here's what it looks like. http://www.farm-home.com/cgi-bin/miva?/mn/...021-5158~~~~~~~

Found one at the local auto parts.

Have a great trip.

Shnozzle..nozzle.... B)

All the ends of the grease guns come out to a larger coupling that fits over and

snaps on to the zerk fitting (this is what there's no room for) but they make one that comes down to a point..like a needle.

It takes 3 hands to keep the pointy end pressed into the zerk while you pump the gun

but it works like a charm. The wife helped me.

Sorry for being flipant.

Here's what it looks like. http://www.farm-home.com/cgi-bin/miva?/mn/...021-5158~~~~~~~

Found one at the local auto parts.

Have a great trip.

70978[/snapback]

Cheers man, I have a similer adapter that I tried on the last MG but as you say its a 3 handed job.... so I gave up on that and went back to a snap on shnozzle, looks like I just might have to waight for the 1st tyre change.