International Motorcycle Show

Dr Gil

I rode the 320 miles or so down to San Jose on my wife's Suzuki SV650S (my Guzzi is still in pieces...someday) to take in the Cycle World International Motorcycle Show with some friends from the Sport-Touring.Net?. While the weather conditions were NOT ideal (freezing temps, high winds, driving rain, lightning and hail) the show was a delight. :thumbsup: Even without Triumph's official pressence (a couple of local Triumph dealers had brough a few of their bikes...including a sexy white Speed Triple) there were plenty of new and interesting bikes to see and sit on. :bike: The vendors were back in force after many of them staying away last yeard due to union problems. The show was so big that I actually suffered "burn out" and simply had to rush through part of the show and get outta there.

sanhomosho-guzzibooth.jpg

The Guzzi booth was great! :mg: Piaggio's commitment to the line and their willingness to spend money advertising it was apparent. The star of the display seemed to be the Griso and there was always a crowd with people waiting to sit on it.

sanhomosho-griso.jpg

It was my first experience sitting on the Griso and found I didn't like it as well as I thought I would. For my style of riding I found the Breva 1100 more interesting (Griso's aerodynamics aren't wonderful for touring and a 4 1/2 gal. gas tank!) but it just doesn't speak to me...guess I'll stick with the Le Mans for the time being. ;)

I was a bit surprised at myself for lusting after the sexy, black EV though (see below). I thought I was committed to sports bikes. I'm just fickle I guess, show me a pretty face...

sanhomosho-ev.jpg

It was great to meet my first member of this board face to face at breakfast Saturday morning, tomsp. We were there with a bunch of ST.Netters and did get to chat some but not enough. I was hoping to meet up with him later at the show but never did. Another time.

All in all the show was a rousing success and highly recommended. I managed to get out of there without buying much...some custom earplugs and some rock straps so that's a good thing. Thanks again to Todd at MPH Cycles for the discount tickets to the show. I passed them around and they were much appreciated. :notworthy: I'll try to get off a complete trip report and post it on my website sometime in the next week or so.

Now back to repairing the Le Mans and getting it back on the road.

It was my first experience sitting on the Griso and found I didn't like it as well as I thought I would.  For my style of riding I found the Breva 1100 more interesting (Griso's aerodynamics aren't wonderful for touring and a 4 1/2 gal. gas tank!) but it just doesn't speak to me...guess I'll stick with the Le Mans for the time being.  ;)  

That's perhaps the least thing to worry about,according to German magazine MOTORRAD (Griso test)gave a 4,7Lt/100km in country streets riding, that's enough for over 300km even for it's small 17l tank.

Yeah,

I went on Friday evening to the International Bike show and was somewhat disappointed. :blush: With my credit card at hand, I wanted to purchase a bike lift. The Handi company were listed on being there but they were a no show. :bbblll: , I then went to look at the Kendon lift and their lift and literature were there but no one to ask any questions about it :huh2: . Ok no problem, I also need a helmet and a new set of leathers. No deals on either one, everything at list prices with tax. Might as well forget about getting any discounts at the bike shows anymore. Best to save you money and go to the Moto GP next year where there are many more venders wanting to sell there product.

The best part of the show was looking at the Guzzi's and Ducati Sport 1000, the Ural's pretty were cool too.

Mike

Bike_show2.jpgBike_show5.jpg

Yeah,

I went on Friday evening to the International Bike show and was somewhat disappointed.  :blush:  With my credit card at hand, I wanted to purchase a bike lift.  The Handi company were listed on being there but they were a no show.  :bbblll: , I then went to look at the Kendon lift and their lift and literature were there but no one to ask any questions about it :huh2: .  Ok no problem, I also need a helmet and a new set of leathers.  No deals on either one, everything at list prices with tax.  Might as well forget about getting any discounts at the bike shows anymore.  Best to save you money and go to the Moto GP next year where there are many more venders wanting to sell there product.

The best part of the show was looking at the Guzzi's and Ducati Sport 1000, the Ural's pretty were cool too.

Mike

I also checked out the Kendon lift...what with the somewhat extensive repairs I'm having to make on my Le Mans I've lusted after a lift. I had the same experience as you though Mike, nobody to talk to about it. I had to sort out for myself how one would even get the bike onto the lift. There was no brochure, no salesperson, no nothing...and I felt the lift was too narrow. At the $600+ U.S. I think there are better deals to be had. ;)

The best deal I found was the set of adjustable "Rock Straps" for $18. Truly, there weren't too many deals to be had...but all the temptation was still nice :food: ...and I also enjoyed the Ural's. And found the "retro" Ural made me laugh...truly an oxymoron but I liked it and want one anyway. :bike:

I also checked out the Kendon lift...what with the somewhat extensive repairs I'm having to make on my Le Mans I've lusted after a lift.  I had the same experience as you though Mike, nobody to talk to about it.  I had to sort out for myself how one would even get the bike onto the lift. There was no brochure, no salesperson, no nothing...and I felt the lift was too narrow.  At the $600+ U.S. I think there are better deals to be had.  ;)

71388[/snapback]

As a "fer instance," you can pick up a $200 cherry-picker engine hoist & suspend the bike from that ["No worries about the bike toppling over on me, Ma: I'll just use the sky hook!"]

;)

It's funny that right after I move, they have this show literally within walking distance of my old house :P

...but hey, I bet Moto Italiano liked it, as it was also within "walking distance" of their current(newish) location :rolleyes: I wonder if they were there "representing" :bike:

It's funny that right after I move, they have this show literally within walking distance of my old house  :P

...but hey, I bet Moto Italiano liked it, as it was also within "walking distance" of their current(newish) location  :rolleyes:  I wonder if they were there "representing"  :bike:

71513[/snapback]

Moto Italiano was there alrighty...actually they had TWO booths! One seemed to consist of mostly clothing and accessories the other had one of those sexy white Triumph Speed Triples on display...much appreciated since Triumph chose not to "officially" take part in the show :huh2:

s3.jpg

It's probably just as well that you weren't here Al...walking to a motorcycle show is like taking a knife to a gunfight. It's just wrong. :rolleyes: