greasing v11 driveshaft

scre103

I finally got the grease fitting to fit, but barely.

I had previously tried a 90 degree fitting, but it was too big.

The last time I greased it, I took the rear swing arm off to get to it, and I did not wan to do that again.

The problem on my bike is not the u-joint cage.

There are two problems.

The first is that there is little room between the U-Joint and the zerk.

My solution was to grind the grease gun's fitting down to fit...no problem.

The second problem is that I could not the hose to bend enough within the hole in the swingarm.

The hole in the swing arm is too small.

My solution was to grind the grease gun's fitting down even more, where it was binding and also abit on the tip to effectively shorten it.

I ended up grinding it down to the point where I created a hole in the wall of the fitting :doh:

But no big deal, it just leaked a tiny bit.

I was then barely able to get the fitting on.

And because I had to wedge it in, it took me twenty minutes to get it back off <_>

In the future I need a smaller 90 degree angle gun fitting.

Possibly like the McMaster 1090K47 if it is small enough.

...or I need to see if I can turn the zerk fitting on the U-joint 180 degrees.

Has anyone tried that?

I suspect some have less trouble because the zerk is at the correct angle.

Guest ratchethack

Hey Dave - what d'you think about locating a hole in the cage so's you can reach it about 100X more easily? When I had my trans out for the recall, I took the cage out and considered this, but for some reason I can't recall now (dain bramage?) I didn't do it. :blush: Wasn't somebody around here gonna do it and report back? :huh2:

Hey Dave - what d'you think about locating a hole in the cage so's you can reach it about 100X more easily?  When I had my trans out for the recall, I took the cage out and considered this, but for some reason I can't recall now (dain bramage?) I didn't do it. :blush:  Wasn't somebody around here gonna do it and report back? :huh2:

80068[/snapback]

I looked into it, but my zerk is pointing sternward of the cage, so it would not help.

What really gets in the way is the cut out through the swing arm that the shaft goes through.

Another thing that helped was pulling the shaft back a couple millimeters and turning it to get the best angle...almost at 12 O'clock position.

If my fitting was just four millimeters shorter, it would be a breeze.

I am keeping my eyes out for a smaller one, ideally 90 degree angle.

If Frank or someone could post some measurements that might be helpful, but I suspect some of us just have less room to get the fitting in.

I'll have to find that 90degree fitting that I tried before.

I may be able to modify it...

Or maybe the Ace Hardware one is smaller than the one I have(lost).

I looked into it, but my zerk is pointing sternward of the cage, so it would not help.

What really gets in the way is the cut out through the swing arm that the shaft goes through.

Another thing that helped was pulling the shaft back a couple millimeters and turning it to get the best angle...almost at 12 O'clock position.

If my fitting was just four millimeters shorter, it would be a breeze.

I am keeping my eyes out for a smaller one, ideally 90 degree angle.

If Frank or someone could post some measurements that might be helpful, but I suspect some of us just have less room to get the fitting in.

I'll have to find that 90degree fitting that I tried before.

I may be able to modify it...

Or maybe the Ace Hardware one is smaller than the one I have(lost).

80141[/snapback]

The right angle fitting I used was approx 12mm D x 50mm x 50mm with a sliding shield covering a reverse facing grease nipple, which is a breeze to access once the female end is fitted to the uni zerk. This required 2 fingers wedged side by side to locate the zerk and push it on, bit like getting a condom onto weaner, once on it was fine. The drive shaft had to be resting on the swing arm hole. :2c:

The right angle fitting I used was approx 12mm D x 50mm x 50mm with a sliding shield covering a reverse facing grease nipple, which is a breeze to access once the female end is fitted to the uni zerk. This required 2 fingers wedged side by side to locate the zerk and push it on, bit like getting a condom onto weaner, once on it was fine. The drive shaft had to be resting on the swing arm hole. :2c:

80155[/snapback]

That should work :bier:

A rough measurement indicates it just needs to be less than about 65mm

I would just need to grind down the 12mm diameter on one side.

It appears that they make the couplers so fat, just to withstand high pressure 3000-6000PSI of industrial grease guns. We probably don't go over 1000PSI when greasing our U-Joints

http://plews-edelmann.com/brochure.cfm?bro...ocation_id=2726

shows some choices.

the 180° Swivel Coupler

and the

90° Swivel Coupler adapter look promising

I probably already have one, but need to find it and grind the tip down...