WA Snow Camp

Greg Field

Any of you in the PNW riding to Snow Camp next weekend?

For those who might want to go, it's Friday through Monday at the western entrance of Mt. Rainier National Park, just east of Elbe. Elevation of camp is about 2,500 feet, so the snow shouldn't be too deep this year.

It's free, except for Park entrance fees and camping fees. The organizers and participants bring unbelievable quantities of food and home-brewed beer, which everyone consumes around roaring campfires. Highlights of the food are nearly non-stop deep-fried turkeys and the bottomless chili pot. Breakfast includes SOS cooked by an old Army mess sergeant and the specialty of the house: chicken-fried bologna.

There's great riding in the (usually) frost-free river valleys nearby, and there's always plenty of "tire chains" available for those who want to attempt the ride up to the Paradise lookout. Chains are required by the rangers, so we make our own from massive plastic zip-ties.

I work Friday and Saturday but will be going down on Sunday and camping overnight. I have a great route to get there. If anyone wants to join in, let me know.

GF