Moto Guzzi - The Racing Story

V11UK

I've just finished reading this book (Christmas pressy from my dear wife :)) and found it totally absorbing. Written by Mick Walker, it covers the whole of Guzzi's illustrious racing history.

I found the chapter covering the modern era and the section about John Wittner, from Philadelphia, USA, particularly fascinating. I never knew he was so instrumental in designing the spine frame and cantilever swinging arm chassis used on the Daytona, V10, 1100 Sport, and V11. Or the fact that he worked in the factory in Mandello during 1989 at the request of Alejandro de Tomaso.

I can highly recommend this 200 page book if, like me, you only knew the briefest details about the racing machines and would like to learn more.

67355.jpg

It's published by the Crowood Press in England. ISBN 1-86126-735-5.

I'd like to read more about John Wittner and his racing exploits in the USA - can anyone recommend any other books?

I've just finished reading this book (Christmas pressy from my dear wife :)) and found it totally absorbing. Written by Mick Walker, it covers the whole of Guzzi's illustrious racing history.

I found the chapter covering the modern era and the section about John Wittner, from Philadelphia, USA, particularly fascinating. I never knew he was so instrumental in designing the spine frame and cantilever swinging arm chassis used on the Daytona, V10, 1100 Sport, and V11. Or the fact that he worked in the factory in Mandello during 1989 at the request of Alejandro de Tomaso.

I'd like to read more about John Wittner and his racing exploits in the USA - can anyone recommend any other books?

Coool hehe , I have just bought-ordered this book through ebay yesterday.

I can't wait 'till it comes here.Are there meny pics inside especially from the old era of Guzzi?

I have also the Moto Guzzi Story. with 7 pages reference to the Dr John and the daytona (half is to the Dr.J. story, the rest are for the Dayto.models and other history facts.Pitty there are only a couple of pages brief reference on the Sporti

I have also heared about this book Moto Guzzi: Forza in Movimento .Though I ain't got it.

Alex - there are 217 black and white pictures plus an 8 page colour section. The book covers all of Guzzi's racing machines from the Corsa 2V of 1923 to the race machines produced by Raceco (and other private teams) in the early to mid '90s. The early racing machines are well represented with many rare photos. You'll really enjoy this book :thumbsup:.

Thanks for the information on the other titles.

The "Dr. John" bike sits in the entry area to the Moto Guzzi museum in Mandello.

That may be telling about how proud they are of the bike :mg:

73908[/snapback]

Taken during our visit to Mandello last September :notworthy:

drjohn.jpg

You'll really enjoy this book  :thumbsup:.

Thanks there is also the DVD around TT experience -GuzziV8, that if I understand right there is also some footage on a V8 50's Guzzi, you might as well check it out.

Yes there are 2 Dr.John's on the museum

the 1000 and the 1000R 8/V as on photo/

Pics courtesy of my collection from 2004 Mandelo Museum Visit.

P.S.

Taken during our visit to Mandello last September  :notworthy:

funny thing I was also there again in last October though, :D

:bier:

Do a search on Tony Foale & I think you'll find that he had more to do with the design of the spine frame.

Can't find any mention of Tony Foale's involvement with Guzzi's, but I did find this and this and this about John Wittner :huh2:. Makes interesting reading :mg:.

"I've just finished reading this book

I'd like to read more about John Wittner and his racing exploits in the USA - can anyone recommend any other books?"

Greg Field's Moto Guzzi Big twins is my favorite. The Dr. John section is the part I keep re-reading. I love stories about racing and the unfair advantage.

Moto Guzzi Gold Portfolio is terrific also, it's a clip job of Guzzi reviews.

DW

Greg Field's Moto Guzzi Big twins is my favorite...........

Moto Guzzi Gold Portfolio is terrific also, it's a clip job of Guzzi reviews.

DW

Is there any refference on the injexted Sport 1100i in the above book, well I see the crab on the cover but...?

Is there any refference on the injexted  Sport 1100i in the above book, well I see the crab on the cover but...?

73988[/snapback]

Crab?

Chapter 4 is about the spine frames. There is a picture of the V11 sport prototype but the bike had not been released at the time the book was printed.

I didn't think much about spine frames when I got my copy. Now I will have to reread that chapter as well.

DW

Can't find any mention of Tony Foale's involvement with Guzzi's, but I did find this and this and this about John Wittner  :huh2:. Makes interesting reading  :mg:.

73985[/snapback]

Here is an excerpt from Ian Falloon's book "The Moto Guzzi Story".

The new frame was heavily influenced by a Tony Foale design for @#$$#! Wood of Motomecca, itself inspired by the later Aermacchi Ala d'Oro. Instead of Foale's round spine, however, Dr. John used a strong 50 by 75 mm rectangular-section backbone running between the 'V' of the engine.