Le Mans Collision Repair Update

Dr Gil

For those kind people who have supported me both with parts, expertise and kind thoughts and helped me in the rebuilding of my beloved Le Mans I wish to announce that PROGRESS HAS BEEN MADE! clap.gif

While I'm awaiting a couple of last minute parts that I thought I was going to have to make do without (thank you Teo Lamers) I decided to go ahead and finish the rear end of the bike. During the slide the bike turned around and slid backwards town the tarmac for a couple of hundred feet and took quite a lot of damage.

Once again thanks to all who have contributed to this worthy cause. (a drum roll please) Now, I give to you...

MY COMPLETED REAR SECTION ( complete with working electrics)!!! :pic:

guzzi-reardone.jpg

For those kind people who have supported me both with parts, expertise and kind thoughts and helped me in the rebuilding of my beloved Le Mans I wish to announce that PROGRESS HAS BEEN MADE!

Well done!

I see that (as of 2002) Guzzis box of taillight lenses from the original Daytona hadn't run out, yet.

photo04.JPG

Actually, the same lense is also on my KTM.

Well done!

I see that (as of 2002) Guzzis box of taillight lenses from the original Daytona hadn't run out, yet.

Actually, the same lense is also on my KTM.

74102[/snapback]

Actually it's come as quite a shock to me the number of "non-Guzzi specific" parts are on the Le Mans. There are quite a few (and MUCH less expensive) Buell parts that bolt right on or bolt right on with a bit of coaxing...and yes, I must confess to now having both Buell turn signals and rear view mirrors on my Italian girl. :whistle:

Actually it's come as quite a shock to me the number of "non-Guzzi specific" parts are on the Le Mans.

Ah, that's part of the fun--figuring out where stuff came from. I've always figured that the Guzzi engineers have a bookshelf of catalogs that they thumb through looking for things like switchs and mirrors and lights. btw, that taillight lens was also used on a couple 1990's Hondas. In your case, chances are the Buell engineers did the same thing. It's the sort of journey that uncovers the exact BMW accessory plug in a John Deere catalog. It's more interesting when you can spot old Guzzi parts on newer bikes. The Eldo had Falcone parts (and Fiat parts). Your engine case still has the (undrilled) boss for the generator mount that was last used back in 1974.

Dr Gil !!

Good to see that your beloved V11 is coming back to life!! :thumbsup:

l see that in the pic of the bike undergoing repairs you have the bike up on some sort of hydraulic stand.

What are you using?

Does it fit the pork chops (strange name) or do you just lift the bike on the sump??

Good luck with the re-build and keep us informed, it's good to know how a fellow Guzzista tackles this and the solutions you find. :D

Hope to hear you're riding soon :race:

:bier:

Cheers

Van

For those kind people who have supported me both with parts, expertise and kind thoughts and helped me in the rebuilding of my beloved Le Mans I wish to announce that PROGRESS HAS BEEN MADE!  clap.gif

While I'm awaiting a couple of last minute parts that I thought I was going to have to make do without (thank you Teo Lamers) I decided to go ahead and finish the rear end of the bike.  During the slide the bike turned around and slid backwards town the tarmac for a couple of hundred feet and took quite a lot of damage. 

Once again thanks to all who have contributed to this worthy cause.  (a drum roll please) Now, I give to you...

MY COMPLETED REAR SECTION ( complete with working electrics)!!!  :pic:

guzzi-reardone.jpg

74098[/snapback]

Looking good Dr. Gil! Hey, that rack looks familiar :D Keep up the good work, you will be back on the road before you know it. Ciao, Rick.

Dr Gil !!

Good to see that your beloved V11 is coming back to life!!  :thumbsup:

l see that in the pic of the bike undergoing repairs you have the bike up on some sort of hydraulic stand.

What are you using?

Does it fit the pork chops (strange name) or do you just lift the bike on the sump??

Good luck with the re-build and keep us informed, it's good to know how a fellow Guzzista tackles this and the solutions you find.  :D

Hope to hear you're riding soon  :race:

:bier:

Cheers

Van

74126[/snapback]

Thanks Van, the hydraulic stand was borrowed from a friend after the bike fell over (simply fitting a mirror) early on in this project. It's a typical motorcycle floor jack with two parallel rubberized "feet" that fit under the oil sump. I'm now using it in conjunction with the standard Guzzi lift that fits under the lower bolts on the porkchops. Used together the bike is now quite stable. :thumbsup:

BB Rick...the rack should look familiar, I snuck into your garage and stole it from your bike when you weren't looking. :whistle: Actually it was the cause for me having to disassemble the entire rear end of my bike a couple of weeks ago. I actually was pretty close to having the tail section bent back into shape and had everything working when I decided I should take the opportunity to mount the rack...alas, it turns out that to fit it into place I had to take apart the entire 50 gazillion pieces that make up the Le Mans rear end, fit the rack and then reassemble the whole thing. :huh2:

One of the good things about this project is that once I would probably have found disassembling the tail section and mounting the rack to be too daunting and ended up taking it to someone else to mount. Now after months of wrenching on the Guzzi I do these things without thinking. :luigi:

Hi Gil,

Good to hear you're ok and the bike is in progress. Keep up the good work and you'll be hitting the roads in sunny Cali in the very near future :race:

Cheers

Søren

Lookin good Gil :thumbsup:

I'll be very cool to see the whole bike back together soon, and a photo of the bike with that rear rack installed. I haven't seen a photo of a bike with just the rear rack "unloaded" in a while, so am curious how it will look.

BTW, I don't know if you are aware, but MG makes a small(pricey though :( ) backpack/bag that is made to fit that rear rack, and matches the MG tank-bag.

They pop up on eBay every so often.

al