hairdryer rescue

docc

After 5 1/2 years and 41,000 miles, the Sport's original battery didn't want to bring me home from the clinic this evening. It sat for six weeks while my broken leg kept me occupied and needed charging after that. So it did warn me. I just wanted to squeek the last amps out of the thing before ordering the Hawker.

With everyone gone and the temps dropping I went back in the clinic to retrieve a hairdryer we use to dry x-ray film. After warming the battery for a few minutes it did fire up! Ran like crap, puffing raw fuel but got me home before total darkness.

Here's to trying all measures before crying on the cell phone for a roll-back wrecker. :bier:

Guest ratchethack
After 5 1/2 years and 41,000 miles, the Sport's original battery didn't want to bring me home from the clinic this evening. It sat for six weeks while my broken leg kept me occupied and needed charging after that. So it did warn me. I just wanted to squeek the last amps out of the thing before ordering the Hawker.

With everyone gone  and the temps dropping I went back in the clinic to retrieve a hairdryer we use to dry x-ray film. After warming the battery for a few minutes it did fire up! Ran like crap, puffing raw fuel but got me home before total darkness.

Here's to trying all measures before crying on the cell phone for a roll-back wrecker. :bier:

75849[/snapback]

Good thinkin', Docc! ;) Heat will substantially boost the cold-crankin'. You sound like a science-type, alright... :lol: My original SPARK lasted exacty 6 years before givin' up the ghost a few weeks back. The new Hawker Odyssey works like a Champ! (thanks again to Dave for his advance recon work on this!) :thumbsup:

I was feeling pretty macho, but I must admit it didn't occur to me to burn the toilet paper. next time I'll know what real men would do . . .

Hell, the hairdryer was even pink . . . :nerd:

'Optimist' is a charitable term. If I had to call the wife to town for the rescue some other term might better apply. :blush:

I've never had one of these 'absorbed glass mat' or 'gel' batteries. ( I'm still not sure what's in there?) The typical $30 wet cells for motorcycles do have about a three year life. I was amazed how this thing held 12.7v even in winter and long periods sitting.

No doubt, the first time these need a charge - the end is in sight.

I know this is going to jinx me, but I'm still running my original battery from 2001.  Some of them do last quite a while....statistics of small numbers, I guess.

75948[/snapback]

Hi mine went the begining of December, on a 2000 V11 so not bad going. Replaced with an odyssey battery now spins up really well even when its been standing outside for a couple of weeks.

Cheers Gary :bier:

You sound like a science-type, alright...

75853[/snapback]

Science type???

Any Manitoba farm boy with a grade 7 education knows that's the only way to get the tractor started in the winter.

But then there are some who need four years of education before they figure it out. :P

Rj

Since toilet paper and hairdryers are pretty scarce in a Manitoba barn, what would the farm boy use to heat his batt'ry?

75976[/snapback]

Put it between the ample breasts of the milkmaid??

The propane radiant heater. Same thing we used to keep warm duck hunting.

Then there was the time my friend's block froze overnight in his truck. Had to build a small fire under the oil pan to get out of the bush. Not a direct correlation to warming the battery... but common Manitoba stories.

Rj

The Hawker came today. About a week and 1/2 the price of Guzzi or the local auto supply's AGM replacement.

Some amazements: The Sport idles 2-300 rpm higher. It runs stronger and the typical 4000-5000 flatness is much improved. I was starting to think it was time for a good synch and tune as this will generally clear the flat spot. I was amazed how the new battery improved the throttle response especially in that vulnerable 4000 rpm range.

I'm curious if the fuel economy may improve as the Sport's been returning in the 33.5 mpg range. Not unusual for the colder temps but I'm curious if the new battery may change things. When the original went flat the bike ran so rich as to make the eyes water. It runs so much cleaner and stronger now I'm hopeful the fuel economy may also be better. I'll know in a week or so . . .

The Hawker came today. About  a week and 1/2 the price of Guzzi or the local auto supply's AGM replacement.

Some amazements: The Sport idles 2-300 rpm higher. It runs stronger and the typical 4000-5000 flatness is much improved. I was starting to think it was time for a good synch and tune as this will generally clear the flat spot. I was amazed how the new battery improved the throttle response especially in that vulnerable 4000 rpm range.

I'm curious if the fuel economy may improve as the Sport's been returning in the 33.5 mpg range. Not unusual for the colder temps but I'm curious if the new battery may change things. When the original went flat the bike ran so rich as to make the eyes water. It runs so much cleaner and stronger now I'm hopeful the fuel economy may also be better. I'll know in a week or so . . .

76734[/snapback]

The startling improvements due to battery change makes me wonder if the connections to the previous battery were high resistance or the battery itself was less able to maintain constant voltage as a large capacitor would. It's a long shot theory, but perhaps the electronics were not being supplied a good stiff voltage source. That could cause variation in timing, spark, etc. and possibly account for the improvement.