another napoleonic question

bigbikerrick

I put the barens mirrors on my bike today, fitted them by slightly sanding down the rubber sleeve to fit into the threaded bar ends. they look cool and the view to the rear is awesome, except for between 3K-4500 rpm where the image is fuzzy due to vibration. I also did not notice the reduction in vibes some folks have found. actually it seems there is slightly more tingling at the bars without the stock bar end weights and the napoleons installed. now im thinking of installing them in the brake/clutch lever pivot holes and re installing the stock bar end weights. my question to those of you that have the napoleons in the lever holes is.... how does the view to the rear compare to the stock mirrors? I cant try them without cutting off the mounting stem and want to make sure that the view is better than stock before I take the hack saw out. ( with the stockers all I saw in 75% of the mirror was my arms, especially if I had a jacket on. ) Thanks! :D:rasta:

I put the barens mirrors on my bike today, fitted them by slightly sanding down the rubber sleeve to fit into the threaded bar ends. they look cool and the view to the rear is awesome, except for between 3K-4500 rpm where the image is fuzzy due to vibration. I also did not notice the reduction in vibes some folks have found. actually it seems there is slightly more tingling at the bars without the stock bar end weights and the napoleons installed. now im thinking of installing them in the brake/clutch lever pivot holes and re installing the stock bar end weights. my question to those of you that have the napoleons in the lever holes is.... how does the view to the rear compare to the stock mirrors? I cant try them without cutting off the mounting stem and want to make sure that the view is better than stock before I take the hack saw out. ( with the stockers all I saw in 75% of the mirror was my arms, especially if I had a jacket on. )  Thanks! :D  :rasta:

77276[/snapback]

I fitted the napoleon bar ends in the lever pivot holes and am happy with both the performance and looks. The view is not as good as the stock mirrors but you can set up the napoleons to get very close. By the way, rubber mounting them (I used BMW K bike valve cover o rings because they just happened to be around) seems to help. Good luck.

Kaput

I have always liked the higher than average convex mold of the Napolean Berens, allowing a wide expanse.

As far as the vibration, I must admit I cheated a bit. I surmised the vibes would be worse, or at least the vibes would be moved around the handlebar area. So, I melted lead [do this outside and upwind, this stuff is not for breathing in] and poored it into the end of each handlebar, allowing enough space for the fastening rubber [or in my case, the brass bevelled sleaves from the Agostini bar end weights] to fit in.

Guess I must be lucky, for there is little if any thing vibes wise, and I'm fussy about this, as my hands go pure white at the first hint of vibration.

Ciao, Steve G.

I fitted the napoleon bar ends in the lever pivot holes and am happy with both the performance and looks. The view is not as good as the stock mirrors but you can set up the napoleons to get very close. By the way, rubber mounting them (I used BMW K bike valve cover o rings because they just happened to be around) seems to help. Good luck.

Kaput

77280[/snapback]

You say the view is not as good as the stock mirrors? or do you mean the view is not as good as the napoleons on the end of the bars? :huh2: Because my view with the stock mirrors was very poor, all I could see was my upper arms, I had to keep moving my shoulders inward to see if my wifes modulating headlight was still behind me. ( I am a pretty big/ wide fellow though)

I have always liked the higher than average convex mold of the Napolean Berens, allowing a wide expanse.

As far as the vibration, I must admit I cheated a bit. I surmised the vibes would be worse, or at least the vibes would be moved around the handlebar area. So, I melted lead [do this outside and upwind, this stuff is not for breathing in] and poored it into the end of each handlebar, allowing enough space for the fastening rubber [or in my case, the brass bevelled sleaves from the Agostini bar end weights] to fit in.

Guess I must be lucky, for there is little if any thing vibes wise, and I'm fussy about this, as my hands go pure white at the first hint of vibration.

Ciao, Steve G.

77330[/snapback]

That sounds like a good plan, Steve. I wonder if anyone has tried the 7/8 inch tube clip on handlebar blanks that are available from lp racing? I think they come in 12 inches and a slightly longer length, are alloy, and can be filled with lead, etc, and also have a smooth(no threads inside end) Heck they are available anodized in different colors!

You say the view is not as good as the stock mirrors? or do you mean the view is not as good as the napoleons on the end of the bars?  :huh2:  Because my view with the stock mirrors was very poor, all I could see was my upper arms, I had to keep moving my shoulders inward to see if my wifes modulating headlight was still behind me. ( I am a pretty big/ wide fellow though)

77333[/snapback]

The view from the napoleons mounted on the brake/clutch levers - in my humble estimation - gets no better than the stock mirrors.

Kaput

The view from the napoleons mounted on the brake/clutch levers - in my humble estimation - gets no better than the stock mirrors.     

Kaput

77348[/snapback]

I might be talking about a different model of Napolean mirror. I was talking specifically about the "Beren" model, which is specifically a bar end mirror. The rear view vision of these two mirrors is a high degree better than stock. And almost as important for me, these fit the characteristic of the bike, that being it's overall identity [V11 Sport] as a cafe racer. They enhance the low and lean look, the look that should usually include the clocks [guages] being the highest part of the assembly from the triple tree/lights area.

Ciao, Steve G.