Customer Service

Guest Nogbad

Nogbab how did the journey home go. How did you manage to run it in sensibly withouth cruising at a fixed speed all the way down the road. Have you warmed up yet  :D

78282[/snapback]

Not got it yet as I opted for an 06 plate. Been up there to see it though.

Took the V11 for a 60 mile run yesterday in the kit I intend to wear for the collection (Temp yesterday 2°C) on the motorway to get 80mph windchill. After 60 miles my fingers were just starting to numb and my crotch and upper arms were feeling cold, so I think I will need an extra layer of thermals and a pair of Gerbing electric gloves for the real trip.

I just had the most surreal experience at my local Buell-HD dealer.

I went there to investigate some luggage for the new bike, and they asked me why I didn't buy it from them. When I told them where I got it, they came over all mardy and told me they wouldn't do the first free service, I would have to pay them £300 and ask the selling dealer to reimburse me.

Christ, that Scottish dealer has really pissed off all the other UK H-D dealers with their cheap Firebolt offer. The local guy also said fitting the "free" race kit would be expensive and wasn't a home job. Hah! His string was yanked even more when I said the free kit was fitted and tuned ready to go.

Quite why they should think I am some sort of awkward and unreasonable bloke for shopping round for the best deal in the country I don't know. Surely, if you are in business you are there to compete. If you can't compete, it's no good trying to punish the punters.......

78195[/snapback]

What we've got here is; Which came first- the chicken or the egg? :huh2:

Which came first- The dealer who provides lousy service and gouges prices, or the customer who won't be loyal? :huh2:

This dealer will eventually learn the power of word of mouth advertising- by loss proffit, layoffs, and maybe even shutting it's doors. I've seen it.

In short: This is no business to hold a grudge, word will get around, quickly, and bite you on the ass.

I'll add my  :2c:

My best advise is to do your homework and THEN go to the dealer you would like to develop a relationship with and give him the opportunity to do his best to match your best deal or at least come close enough to earn your business.

I think your advise is 100% on the mark.

If it was a matter of a few hundred quid I think you are right.

In this case, the saving I made was almost 3 thousand over list so it wouldn't hurt me to pay for the service, indeed I wouldn't have thought about it had the selling dealer not told me I could take it anywhere to get the free 1K miles service done.

The fact was the Edinburgh dealer was the only UK dealer to risk taking a container of 20 '05 'bolts and I guess they got a lot of discount from Buell. The few left at the end of the season were sold at a huge discount that no-one else was able to get even remotely near to.

I know this dealer has sold loads of these Buell's to lots of very very happy customers, the ones that are not so happy are the ones that paid more five years ago! Good on him a dealer that does'nt want to shaft you, although saying this this dealer is owned buy one of the largest car dealerships in Scotland, so at last are they applying bulk car type discounts and passing them on to the punter.

I'll add my  :2c:

I work for a boat dealership in sales and I think there are some parallels to cycle sales.

When a customer comes in for service with a product we sell but was purchased elseware I think most sales/service people take it personally. They have lost a sale, they are pissed off at the other guy that "whores" his pricing to move product. (for what ever reason)

With all the pricing available over the internet it's so easy to get a better deal if your willing to travel some.

So now I'll give you the dealer's prospective, without sugar coating anything.

When a customer comes in to get service, especially warranty or adjustmants not preformed at delivery we don't jump for joy. The mark up on the sale of some accessories is not going to add very much to our bottom line at the end of the year. I know every little bit helps but remember we're really pissed off at the guy who made the sale not you really but your the only one there.

Dlaing is correct, most mfg.'s don't pay much for warranty and some expect the dealer to absorb any adjustment costs as part of doing business.

But here's the real rub. We've (dealers) got our own customers to take care of and they must come first. We have invested $$ and time developing relationships with them so that's our first priority. The best thing for us (dealers) to do is to not show our feelings and take it as it comes and hope that the next time we will earn your business. Buyers must take a real look at what the true savings really are.

The amount saved traveling for the deal vs the amount of "good will" you will receive from the local dealer who (hopefully) made a fair profit. The other dealer knows that he will probably never see you again so take a little less, move a unit and keep the $$. 

I have had customers travel 1600 miles round trip to save $1200 to $1500 on a $26000 boat motor and trailer package.

On the face of it, it sounds like a no brainer. They bring it home and "life it good".

So now, a few weeks later the trailer bearings were not packed properly at the factory or the bilge pump switch has decided to go south, maybe the other dealer put in a cheap battery to save a few bucks. This shit seems to go on and on sometimes. We need the customer to pay for the work to be done or we are stuck getting authorization for warranty, order parts and do the work, this takes a service consultant, a parts person and a warranty claim filed to get re-embursed. Usually we will not loose money but were not going to push our customers aside to "fit you in" so you can go out and fish. ride etc. this weekend. We usually hear " well you sell them you should fix them no matter where I bought it!"

Yes this is true, but, and there is always a but. :huh2:

So bottom line for me is... how much are you really saving when all things are considered. Sometimes it's alot and it's worth putting up with the B/S with getting things serviced and getting the "cold shoulder", sometimer not. Only you can decide and every situation is different.

My best advise is to do your homework and THEN go to the dealer you would like to develop a relationship with and give him the opportunity to do his best to match your best deal or at least come close enough to earn your business.

Sorry for the long reply but after all it is winter and I can't ride or fish for many weeks to come. :race:

:ninja:  :ninja:  :ninja:

78256[/snapback]

no problem with the core in what you say. my problem is that i dont understand why things like this cant be explained in a simple courteous language. instead you get all sorts of personal bitching from sales and service staff when you approach them.

one time, at a premier Audi dealer, the service manager just looked the other way and didnt even answer me, bloody f...heads, I was eager to have my car fixed, I had money in my pocket and was ready to part with it, I didnt ask for freebies but i guess they just assume that everyone is.... I'll never buy a car there.

often, a negative answer actually can get you a new customer, as long as it is polite and informative. if business gets personal it gets bad, every time.

Well I sold my Beemer, cause I didnt like it but I'll give that to BMW; their service staff was absolutely top notch. As long as it is a current model under warranty, they'll help in no time and no questions asked. At least over here.