the oil thing

rudi

I know it's an issue that most probably will continue to appear in any motor forum but I'll take the risk:

In short it's about oil:

I own a 2003 V11 Le Mans Rosso Corsa since about 5 weeks and this is my first Moto Guzzi.

better to add that I live in the Netherlands with a moderate (although humid) climate.

for some stupid reason there is some confusion at my dealer about which kind of engine oil his mechanic put in at the 1000 km service.

I know it's stupid but it's also quite annoing for me since it needed a bit of oil and I needed to know which oil to add.

The owner of the shop told me it was Agip 20W50, his mechanic said it was Valvoline Durablend (half synthetic) 10W40 and the owners manual saysit has to be Agip 5W40.

So I changed dealership and asked the two best known dealers in holland what to do , and which kind of oil they use:

since this site started out dutch (prima werk jaap) I won't use any names but the biggest one uses agip 20w50 (because guzzi always said to use it) and another dealer uses 10w50 or 10w60 for a v10 / v11.

My bro has the same bike, different dealer and they 've put in castrol 5w40 synthetic at his 1000 km service.

two questions:

1: how much oil does your V11 consumes ?

2: what kind do you use , 5W40 / 10W40 / 20W50 or anything else??

There is an issue about the V10, when is has it's oil level just above min on the dipstick and you speed up very fast the red light will go on for a second.

It's because all the oil shifts aft and the the pump will suck vacuum for a brief moment.

This problem is not solved yet on a V11, any comments?? or am I the only one who drives fast :helmet:

cheers,

rudi / holland

2003 rosso corsa

My personal opinion would be to use 20W50. The reason? That's what Guzzi says to do, and it makes sense for your climate (and mine) according to generally-accepted temperature charts.

I have seen the red light come on under hard acceleration, maybe twice in the ~3200 miles (~5100 km) I've ridden. But then, I'm not a hard-accelerating rider for the most part. This on a 2002 Le Mans.