Looking for my First Italian

Guest BreadMan

Guest BreadMan

After seeing the V-11 LeMans that v-twinfant had posted here and on a few other boards, I started looking at the Guzzis. However, buying a LeMans was simply out of the question. I've got a R1100RS that I'm not getting rid of, and having two similar bikes seemed silly.

So that led me to a cruiser type bike, which Mrs. Breadman adores, and thusly to a California.

I'm looking at a 2003, low miles....but the dealer network scares me...(Speed's near Baltimore is my closest)

I love the HP rating, and I love the styling. I'm not going to be depending on this bike for commuitng or anything else...It will be the third in the garage.

So convince me...tell me about the problems and the joys.

I'd love to hear any dealer experiences with Speeds or the dealer in Richmond, VA.

Thanks... ;)

While a number of us who own V11 Sport variants post here (thus you might get some responsive info), you would likely get more hits at the "wildguzzi" site, http://www.wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php

I have a Ballabio and a Cali (98 EV), and love both. VERY different machines. If my bride is anything like Mrs Breadman--and it sounds as if she is--she enjoys riding the EV (and has made day and multi-day trips on it); does not feel that way about the Ballabio.

So, as I mentioned, consider posting on wildguzzi. Give me a call, too, of you like, or email; will be glad to discuss in detail. Pecking keys wears me out.

I will say that, tho I live in Atlanta, we--Guzzis and I--are often in Virginia as all our kids live in the metro-DC area, incl B'more. I have some experience with the two you mention, plus Winchester Motorsports.

The very best new buys on a Cali are at Moto-International in Seattle. Worth the trip. Really. Many trustworthy used ones are available, too. Again, try wildguzzi.

Best wishes in your choice. It's an affair of the heart. I'm obviously smitten.

Bill

wrhagan@earthlink.net

404.808.8486 (M)

My opinions-

I love the motor and the transmission on the California's. They are much improved over earlier iterations, and I love the earlier iterations.

I hate the foot rest position. I don't care much for the handlebars either. And the seat is awful.

Fix those things (or maybe they don't bother you) and you have a bike for the ages. I have 270,000+ miles on my G5, 15K or so on my Eldorado and both of those are cruisers. They are smooth, powerful, and comfortable. Maintenance is straightforward- but you have to be willing to do some. Also Guzzi's thrive on abuse, which is an endearing trait.

• 1 month later...

Breadman, I live in Ellicott City and I have my '03 le mans serviced at Speeds. I didn't know what to think becuase of the few times I'd stopped in there looking at duc's over the past year or two, but after getting my le mans and having it serviced at speeds, I couldn't be happier. They really seem to know MG's and they are very carefule with the bikes they service from what I've seen. They are however the only Ducati and MG dealership around here so they do get very busy and sometimes the wait for service can be in excess of a week, but this is good because then you get to ride your other bikes that have been neglected. I know because I've got an '04 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 (custom painted and fully kitted for touring) that only has 600 miles on it :doh: the Le Mans just calls to me every time I step into the garage :bike: