SF to Seattle, in a cage: interesting ?

jihem

Hi all,

i'll have to travel late june to Seattle and obviously i'm taking a plane.

But this is looking at quite a few hours aboard a 747 (for the best) and there are no direct flights anyway.

So, I 'm wondering if it wouldn't be more fun to travel from SF to Seattle by car. Nice roads ? Too long ? Too damn boring ? what do you think ?

(no, i don't want to rent an HD or a Beemer instead of an intermediate car ;)

I've read and heard Highway 1 is great, by car too. But don't underestimate the distance! We Europeans tend to think when we see the US map... "that's doable" but in reality...

Two years ago we did Seattle- SF with a small detour (4000 miles) in an RV. Best holiday ever!

jihem,

I would at least plan on taking two to three days for the drive, depending on if you would like to stop take in some nice views and check out the small towns along the way. Highway 1 is very slow going up the California coast but is beautiful. Oregon is beautiful as well (guess I just love the ocean) and I think you will enjoy Seattle as well. Would be much funner on a two wheel vehicle.

Keep us posted if you do decide to fly into San Fran, perhaps we could meet up.

Mike

Hi all,

But this is looking at quite a few hours aboard a 747 (for the best) and there are no direct flights anyway.

So, I 'm wondering if it wouldn't be more fun to travel from SF to Seattle by car. Nice roads ?  Too long ? Too damn boring ? what do you think ?

78398[/snapback]

Guest ramon61
Hi all,

So, I 'm wondering if it wouldn't be more fun to travel from SF to Seattle by car. Nice roads ?  Too long ? Too damn boring ? what do you think ?

78398[/snapback]

You'd get to drive through San Francisco and over the Golden Gate bridge, and thats an auspicious beginning to any drive. When you get to Oregon, you must take a side trip to Crater Lake. It left me dumbstruck. I've never seen anything approaching its beauty and quiet grandeur. Words don't convey the experience. It's like finding God.

Take whatever time you is necessary to do the road trip.

My two cents.

When you get to Oregon, you must take a side trip to Crater Lake. It left me dumbstruck. I've never seen anything approaching its beauty and quiet grandeur. Words don't convey the experience. It's like finding God.

78420[/snapback]

I saw it on one of Dan's road trips WOW , spent a bit of time googling it afterwards, is on my must see list.

And once in Seattle, you must do the Olympic Coast, and heck, Canada is not too far from there either. Humm, how about taking a ferry accross to horseshoe ??? (can't remember which port) and then a drive/ride up to Whistler!

Looks like you better take off a few weeks!

Mike

So, I 'm wondering if it wouldn't be more fun to travel from SF to Seattle by car. Nice roads ?

78398[/snapback]

California Highway 1 is the Holy Grail....don't let anyone tell you any differently.

Especially the section from San Francisco to Legget.

Nowhere else on the planet is there a combination of curves, scenery & weather.

Everyone should ride Highway 1 at least once in their lifetime.

The Holy Trinity:

The Alps

The Isle of Man TT

California Highway 1

(ok and maybe flashing your lights and passing a Porsche on the Autobahn)

:grin:

its worth it.. I've done it by bike, and this summer did SF to Whistler in the car w/ the wife and kids.. Whistler back to SF in 17 hours straight...

I'd say yes to all the comments above.. rent a car in SFO airport.. drive through the city (including Lombard St) to the Golden Gate.. Drive north on Hwy 1.. stop in Mendicino.. Make Oregon your first day stopping point. Go see Mt St Helens.

Crater lake rocks.  So do the roads up and down...

78482[/snapback]

ok, ok, i'm bought to the idea :)

thanx to all for ze input, see you late june !