scura clutch..

Paul Minnaert

A german scura owner didn't trust his clutch any longer after 20.000km. He decided to let the dealer mount a new 2 plate clutch. The dealer send the alu flywheel to mandello factory to have it checked. And guess what?

It had small fractures already. So was a matter of time before it would die the bike( and more?).

It seems that they are thinking about recalling a series of singleplate clutches, not all, because not all should be affected. Maybe that's why the problem isnt in the USA, they got another series?

Basically then, there are some that are OK, and some that are eventually going to explode, but no means of knowing at present which type you have?

I'm glad I have a 2 plater!!

....It seems that they are thinking about recalling a series of singleplate clutches, not all, because not all should be affected. ...

Paul,

Thanks for this - if you hear anything more on it please let us know. Unsurprisingly I've had no joy with getting info out of dealers or MG customer services.

KB :sun:

Thanks for the info, Paul......

I wonder how much longer they are going to think about it..... :moon:

Wait 'till some poor sod is maimed or killed, I suppose! :angry:

I got zero response from Guzzi other than an acknowledgement of my contact.....

Nige. :glare:

My 2 cents worth on Scura clutches. I think you guys are overreacting. I know, the poor blokes with busted clutches feel a right to bitch but, sheeze, how many overall have exploded?? How many 2 plates go out?? For me, the Scura clutch is the best performing Guzzi clutch Ive had. Hooks up great and very light pull.

My 2 cents worth on Scura clutches.  I think you guys are overreacting.  I know, the poor blokes with busted clutches feel a right to bitch but, sheeze, how many overall have exploded?? How many 2 plates go out??  For me, the Scura clutch is the best performing Guzzi clutch Ive had. Hooks up great and very light pull.

79735[/snapback]

Don't be complacent. With fatigue failure like that in the picture it isn't if, it's when. If you treat your clutch gently and do a low mileage it takes longer for the cracks to initiate and grow. Maybe so long that you won't even have a problem in your ownership. IMHO every clutch unit of that design will let go eventually. If Scura's were fitted with clutches from different manufacturers the problem may only afflict one particular type, but which one have you got and how do you find out? :2c:

As I have said on another thread.....

I like the clutch action and performance too, but.........BIG BUT.....

It is not even so much that the thing fails, it is the dramatic and potentially catastrophic nature of the way it is likely to let go, that is the thing that is making me change the assembly prior to failure.

As Nog and others (myself included) have said this grenading issue is likely to be a 'when' rather than an 'if'

I really wish they would bite the bullet on this...do the right thing and do a recall, before some poor bugger is maimed or killed! :angry:

Nige. :(

I really wish they would bite the bullet on this...do the right thing and do a recall, before some poor bugger is maimed or killed!  :angry:

Nige.  :(

79786[/snapback]

Maybe they fitted 2 types, and know that only the minority type is affected, but have no means of knowing which bikes went out with the bad clutches. Faced with a recall of all single plate bikes where most of them will simply be stripped to find the OK clutch could be a precaution too far for the bean counters. Maybe they have had a risk analyst work out the cost of compensating a dead Guzzisti's family and the likelihood of a grenading clutch killing the rider and concluded that it's cheapest by a mile to deny everything!

Maybe they fitted 2 types, and know that only the minority type is affected, but have no means of knowing which bikes went out with the bad clutches. Faced with a recall of all single plate bikes where most of them will simply be stripped to find the OK clutch could be a precaution too far for the bean counters. Maybe they have had a risk analyst work out the cost of compensating a dead Guzzisti's family and the likelihood of a grenading clutch killing the rider and concluded that it's cheapest by a mile to deny everything!

79799[/snapback]

This is a downbeat, but unfortunately probably very accurate assessment! :(

Nige. :huh:

It occurs to me that is not the clutch that is fault here but the flywheel, the pictures I have seen so far all look the same the flywheel bolt holes and center parting company with the crank. Any thoughts welcome