headlight modulator

bigbikerrick

I would like to add a headlight modulator to my bike, anyone here use one, and /or have any recommendations? I want to make sure I dont cause any problems with the electricals on the bike, but want something to add to safety when crossing intersections with cars waiting to turn left.

Some local law enforcement types don't like them as they use them. Dunno saw a BMW with a brake light that flasshed as it was first applied in traffic today not sure f its stardard or something someone fitted. I find these type of things seriously annoying IMO.

I would like to add a headlight modulator to my bike, anyone here use one, and /or have any recommendations? I want to make sure I dont cause any problems with the electricals on the bike, but want something to add to safety when crossing intersections with cars waiting to turn left.

80416[/snapback]

BBR; There are several threads here from a while ago that give a good rundown on how to and what was done.

If I remember right, I think Al R. had done a little work in that area.

Suggest board search "headlight modulator" :nerd:

Just one data point: When I see those flashing headlights, I do notice, but I find myself staring at them. I get target fixation. I don't want car drivers getting target fixation on my bike . . .

80423[/snapback]

Yes, Ive read about target fixation, but when I ride my wifes honda magna that has a modulator, I notice a BIG difference in other cars respecting your right of way approaching an intersection. A buddy of mine that has one on his white road king notices the biggest difference when he wears his "cop style" white/black 3/4 helmet though... :D

BBR;  There are several threads here from a while ago that give a good rundown on how to and what was done.

If I remember right, I think Al R. had done a little work in that area.

Suggest board search "headlight modulator"  :nerd:

80432[/snapback]

Will Do! Thanks. :)

Just my :2c: , but I have one that was installed on my bike by the PO. Not really a big fan. I do really like the flashing taillight thing, but for the most part I keep the photocell covered and just ride with the highbeams on all the time. I think it's reasonably just as effective, and doesn't drive oncoming traffic nuts. (Though I do understand the whole "rather annoy the cars than get hit" mentality). :huh2:

Yes, Ive read about target fixation, ....

80481[/snapback]

I assume fixation is pertaining to the flash frequency. Search for Wayne Orwigs stuff. He has a DIY solution on his homepage.

Hubert

Guest guzzzi

I have done a 30 mile hiway, city commute in the D.C. area for 25 years. I swear by the Kisan light modulator. It hooks up very easy and reduces current draw. The modulator might annoy on-coming drivers but it might also keep you alive (if their annoyed they at least see you).

:bbblll: I might die on a bike by the malice of others; I refuse to die by mistake.

Guest guzzzi

I have done a 30 mile hiway, city commute in the D.C. area for 25 years. I swear by the Kisan light modulator. It hooks up very easy and reduces current draw. The modulator might annoy on-coming drivers but it might also keep you alive (if their annoyed they at least see you).

:bbblll: I might die on a bike by the malice of others; I refuse to die by mistake.

Guest leo in saint louis

If your turn signals are not already running lights, its a worthwhile front vision addition as well.

• 1 month later...

Contrarian viewpoint:

I installed modulators front and rear. Love the rear. Not the front.

The first time I used the front was as I approached a side street with a car waiting at its stop sign on the right side. I was on the main road with the right of way. There was a car in front of me, signalling to turn right. As he did, I flipped on the modulated high beam. Instead of taking notice of my approach, the dirver at the stop sign interpretted the flashing as a "go-ahead" signal, and pulled out right in front of me. I stopped just in time, and the driver gave me a "what the hell are you doing?!" gesture. She was absolutely right.

I never used the headlight modulator again. When I thought about it, I realized how many reasons people have to flash high beams. I'll stick to the horn, and always assume the other guy doesn't see me unless we make eye contact, and even then still be wary.

Guest Nogbad

These things are illegal in the UK. I can see how a driver might misinterpret the flash as a signal to move out.

I rely on observation and the appropriate use of the horn. If I haven't made eye contact in time, I use the horn to attract attention. That is the legal purpose of the horn after all!

In the UK the flash of the head light is legally a visual warning of your presence the equivalent of a beep on the horn. But in common usage it means Here I am, I've seen you, pull out/join the traffic flow/cross the traffic which is in fact the opposite of its sanctioned use.

Emergency service vehicle use headlight modulators in addition to blue lights.

I don't think they're actually illegal under the 1981 road vehicle lighting regulations I'll have to check next week whilst on nights.

I saw one on a Jota many years ago and saw it coming from a fair way off and thought wow ( It was a very long time ago) I'm not sure now that the general advantage makes up for the one chance that it'll be misinterpreted because that will be very painful indeed.

One of my big bugbears is the inconsiderate/anti social use of lights. This comes from years of peering through foggy/misted up/scratched visors. Leaving rear fogs on or just using main beam instead of dip headlights. There are a lot of bikes that do this to aid visibility. I'm sure there are those who are less mellow than me who because of this would still do the lane change where if the light was dipped would still have seen you and perhaps might have let them through. If I was working I'd give them a pull (fogs left on/main beams), on its self I wouldn't ticket but it would mean anything else is a second offence and you're then on thin ice.

I hate rear fog lights there just no need unless you're the last vehicle in very slow or stationary traffic in very dense fog