Drive Shaft

wambiker

Hi all, I've taken the opertunity of 2" snow to take the diff out and repaint it. While I was pulling things apart I looked at the drive shaft and I thought it was two pieces that slid on splines, hence the 2nd grease nipple at the diff end, but mine seams pretty solid. There is some end float at the geabox output shaft and was also wondering was this normal, or has my shaft siezed up and caused a problem in the gearbox. :huh2: Any knowledge and insight would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Gary :bier:

Guest Nogbad

With the shaft disconnected at one end, you should have up to 2" of sliding movement in the two halves. If you do separate the halves, make sure that they go back correctly. There are alignment marks. If the shaft is solid, it's seized and this will kill the gearbox bearing. The pinion bearing in the diff is much stronger so I would guess the gearbox output shaft bearing will die first.

Yes it is a two piece driveshaft. Yes it should feel pretty solid. If you pull it apart be sure to align the indexing marks on each piece.Only grease the rear nipple if you still have the rear wheel on(rear nipple on the shaftnot the u-joint). :doh: If you greased it with the wheel off, you are now wondering why you can't get the axle in the wheel. :huh2: Its the thick grease in a small oriface syndrome. :D

good luck

andy