Daytona RS problem.

pete roper

Or at least suggestions.

Bike is a Daytona RS, (another one, not the one with the biffed tank! :roll: ) Gutted muffler and aftermarket chip of, (as yet.) unknown provenance.

The problem.

Bike fires up but then dies the instant it gets to 2,000RPM. Starts again immediately but keeps on doing it. I'm told by the owner that if you remove one of the plugs and earth it to the head it will run on the other cylinder up to 6,000RPM before it dies. I haven't attempted this.

What I have found out.

One of the batteries is dead, only giving 1.2 V. the other one is OK, (I'm a bit surprised it will even turn over with only one working battery?) The problem started at a Gas Station on the way back from Phillip Island last weekend. He said it had been feeling a bit *fluffy* for 100Km or so. After he'd stopped to fill up the problem arose.

Some thoughts, probably wrong, from me. Could it be that with only one battery the current draw was so large that as soon as the engine started and the button released the computer got spiked by a voltage surge. I have already swapped the relays, not because I thought that would be the problem but because it's simple and easy to do and wouldn't do any harm.

Discuss.

Just surprised by the fact you have 2 battery ???

There is only one on the daytona rs, the same than v11 one.

If the A are not too small (i think not under 8 A) it could run with the only one without too many troubles.

On the supertwin with the big bore engine i use a small Ducati 996 battery witch is 33 % smaller than v11 one since 2 years and not problem.

It is a 12V 10 A on my bike.

Do you have checked if the ground is well fixed to the frame ?