Worn final drive bushings?

guzzi323

I was just starting my 12K maintenance on my 02 V11 Scura last night and when I had the bike up on the workbench I noticed quite a bit of 'slop' in the bushings for the stay arm that hooks onto the top of the final drive case. There's about 5 mm of play (fore/aft, allowing the drivebox to rotate a few degrees) There's also a similar amount of play on the front bushing for the stay arm.

This isn't normal, is it? I'm guessing not. Unless I hear that everyone's got a similar amount of play I'll take it up with my dealer when I put it all back together.

Now that I think about it I do remember that the LeMans I test rode before putting down my deposit for the Scura didn't seem to have as much driveline lash as my Scura does. Maybe this has been a problem with it all along.

Any info you all have to offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I found that when I prepped the bike when new that Guzzi had built all the linkages and pivots dry. No grease. Naturally, I coated all the bolts with #2 Lithium grease upon reassembly. Mine has a touch of wriggle room when I yank it back & forth to try to rotate it. About 1mm. 5mm sounds quite loose. Perhaps they wore from lack of lube? Were yours dry as mine were?

Funny this topic was started now - I've got 11K on the Scura, and when I was washing the bike after the weekend run I noticed that the torque arm (stay-arm) has partially slid off the rear bush (towards the wheel) and is wearing a groove in the final drive casing. I'm not sure yet but the front end of the arm looks like it has slid in the other direction! - This may be due to wear as suggested but I'm leaving it until I can let the dealer see it. At the moment there does not appear to be any play but this could be due to the arm going out of line.

Roberto

Scura #222

88 Le Mans V

I haven't pulled it apart to check to see if it's dry. I'm guessing it is but I'm only 20 or so miles from my dealer so I'm going to check about this being a warranty issue before I go ahead and pull it apart myself.