Duck, Duck or Goose!

Guest AdamofKC

What do you think should be my next bike?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think should be my next bike?

• Ducati Monster 620/750/800/900/1000
    • Ducati Supersport 620/750/800/900/1000
    • Moto Guzzi Sport 1100i
    • Whatever your Italian loving heart desires!

Huh some of the points really suck... It seems like motorcycle insurance is just mased on statistics and not true motorcycle knowledge.

Now, obviously, a Moto Guzzi is going to be cheaper than a Ducati on insurance, but by like how much?  Is it significant or just barely noticable?

83189[/snapback]

If you're under 25 you're going to get screwed by the insurance companies. It barely matters what kind of bike you get. The only way to get it cheaper is to just have liability. Buying a house helps alot too, that way you can get a multiple policy discount.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest AdamofKC
I can't vote until I know which one is black.

Rj

83249[/snapback]

Did you check the picture I posted? The Guzzi is black, and I'm sure that if I get a dark version of a Ducati, it'll be black too.

I own one of each that you are considering, luv em' all. I bought the Ducati new in '95 and it has been a great bike. Had to fix a leaking cluch slave cylinder about 6 years ago and that is about it. The new Ducati 1000DS engine is a jewel. The Guzzi 1100 will out run it but the Duc will run circles around it on the curvy stuff. Tough call, all nice motorcycles. The Guzzi's have also been very easy to own, the LeMans had a leaking timing cover gasket, easy fix. Flip a coin, buy something and run the wheels off of it! :2c:

Huh some of the points really suck... It seems like motorcycle insurance is just mased on statistics and not true motorcycle knowledge.

Now, obviously, a Moto Guzzi is going to be cheaper than a Ducati on insurance, but by like how much?  Is it significant or just barely noticable?

83189[/snapback]

Well my bike is listed as a Qouta because they didn't have a code for the V11(or couldn't find one) I have full coverage comp and collision with $500 deduck. I am pretty sure I have theft also. It also depends on who you talk to and how they run your numbers. The same company with a different agent will probably give you different results. Its all really part of some large scam. Insurance is good but a lil rediculous sometimes. :huh2:

Try Alstate, state farm, and damnit I can't remember the other one. I'll try and find out as best I can but its the one the guy I know pays like $50buh a year FC. Coverage even varies with zip codes and time of day, phase of the moon tilt of the earth BUT I know insurance for bikes is cheaper in MN because it is obviously not possible to have it be a daily driver.

Guest AdamofKC

I'm going to try and see if I can take that Guzzi for a test ride tomorrow, but before I do, is there anything, riding wise, that I should be aware of? This will be the first time I have ridden a bike like a Guzzi(shaft drive, lateral v-twin). Is there anything you guys would recommend on how to prevent a potential spill?

I'm going to try and see if I can take that Guzzi for a test ride tomorrow, but before I do, is there anything, riding wise, that I should be aware of?  This will be the first time I have ridden a bike like a Guzzi(shaft drive, lateral v-twin).  Is there anything you guys would recommend on how to prevent a potential spill?

83368[/snapback]

if you are going to wheely a Guzzi try and start the wheely leaning just a little to the left as it will tend to roll gently to the right. Once you get used to it it will be no problem.

Seriously you will only notice the engine torque reaction at rest when you 'blip' the throttle. Once you are rolling you will not notice the tq reaction or the shaft drive at all. The shaft drive will have little effect except for rear braking and that is negligible. You may notice the driveline 'snatch' is more noticeable as well but that is normal Guzzi!

Guest AdamofKC

Heh I don't plan on doing a wheelie, since I haven't done one before. I am more into the ride, the travel rather than stunts. But from how it sounds, I need to lean a bit to the left to correct a torque reaction under normal driving, is that correct?

When I went to this dealership before, I got a chance to listen to and blip the throttle of a V11 Le Mans, and I was intrigued as to how the bike "stood up" on it's side stand! Very different, plus the bike was rocking side to side, which was much different than what I have experienced.

That Guzzi was definitely a unique bike. In fact, on saturday, I'm going back up to the place and going for a test ride! I can't wait! It is just something that I am very eager to do! I'm bringing a digi cam along for some pics so when I can, I'll post some of the good pics, and hopefully, some of me riding the bike.

and I was intrigued as to how the bike "stood up" on it's side stand!  Very different, plus the bike was rocking side to side, which was much different than what I have experienced.

83468[/snapback]

As I mentioned earlier you won't notice this when riding!

Enjoy the ride!

Jim

As I mentioned earlier you won't notice this when riding!

Enjoy the ride!

Jim

83470[/snapback]

like Jim said. While riding you can twist it as hard as you like and it won't wobble. Wheelies are a clutch-it-up affair(unless youre jim and spent lots of $$$$) and not really recommended. I love the wobble while sitting at a light. Get some pipes and it'll sound more like a V8 than a twin. :bike:

Guest AdamofKC

I do like the sounds of powerful engines, but mainly when the sound isn't overly loud. One of the reasons I'm selling my current bike is because the mods I had done to the exhuast gave the bike some well and much needed kick, but it was very loud. Very loud and rumbly for a 250 l-c v-twin, considering stock sounds like a lawnmower. If you check out this website, and go to the dyno/performance mods section, you can see and hear a video of my current bike on a dyno. It is the Kymco Venox 250, a great bike for learning, very reliable, but... oh darn... to long of a story and it would defeat the purpose of this topic.

Anyway, are there a large selection of pipes available for this year of Guzzi or are the retrofittable from the newer V11s? Aslo, how great are the hp/tq gains due to some of the pipes here? Would the FI need to be reprogrammed to adjust?

I do like the sounds of powerful engines, but mainly when the sound isn't overly loud.  One of the reasons I'm selling my current bike is because the mods I had done to the exhuast gave the bike some well and much needed kick, but it was very loud.  Very loud and rumbly for a 250 l-c v-twin, considering stock sounds like a lawnmower.  If you check out this website, and go to the dyno/performance mods section, you can see and hear a video of my current bike on a dyno.  It is the Kymco Venox 250, a great bike for learning, very reliable, but... oh darn... to long of a story and it would defeat the purpose of this topic.

Anyway, are there a large selection of pipes available for this year of Guzzi or are the retrofittable from the newer V11s?  Aslo, how great are the hp/tq gains due to some of the pipes here?  Would the FI need to be reprogrammed to adjust?

83574[/snapback]

Not as many options as there were BUT still great ones out there. The MG ti's are the best by far but not cheap. But thats all you need and it comes with a New ECU for about $1,200 will they fit a daytona? I dunno. But I do know almost any pipe will fit almost any bike if you have the right(or possibly wrong) tools. They rumble more than roar. But thats all it is more bark the gains are miniscule. :huh2:

Guest AdamofKC

Well, I went for the ride and I absolutely loved it! I didn't get the opportunity to ride the Sport 1100i, because a guy put money down on it the day before, but I did get to ride a V11 Le Mans! Follow this link here to see a how the ride went.

They also had an 04 Ballabio on sale there for like $8600 (used) and less than 2000 miles. Gosh, if no one takes it, and insurance isn't that expensive, I might just go for the Ballabio instead. Who cares if it is $600 more than the Le Mans, it does have 1 1/2 years left on the warranty and the guy said that the Ballabio has 102 rear wheel hp without any mods! Does this latter statement seem right? Have any Ballabio's been dynoed to that high of an hp number at the rear wheel?

and the guy said that the Ballabio has 102 rear wheel hp without any mods!  Does this latter statement seem right?  Have any Ballabio's been dynoed to that high of an hp number at the rear wheel?

83887[/snapback]

The salesman is talking bollocks- the Ballabio is a nice bike but makes the same power as other V11s i.e. 75 to 80 bhp at the rear wheel.

Don't let that put you off though.

Guy :helmet:

I really liked the gif of dlaing and ratchet though. I suppose that will have to make its way to the global warming thread somehow.

Perhaps you could have the salesman call Pete Roper so that he could have it explained to him properly that the Ballabio does not have 102 rear wheel hp. Did the salesman also tell you that it would wheely in 3rd gear just using throttle?

Anyways, I'm really glad you enjoyed the ride and I hope whatever you buy brings you lots of fun!!

Cheers

Jim