Creaking rear end

macguzzi

Moved my bike today for the first time in a while, rear end was very creaky any ideas what needs lubricated. Does the rear wheel bearing make a noise when going?

Guest ratchethack

Mac, could it be the infamous cry of the frontbottom rear brake? :huh2:

I what does "frontbottom " mean?

frontbottom - the design location of the V11 and other Guzzi rear brakes. The "front, bottom" location of the caliper ensures that the caliper will load up prematurely with a combination of brake dust and flotsam and jetsam from the road, caking-up in spectacular fashion into a near-solid mass between the brake pistons and calipers. Garden-variety neglect of regular cleaning of the caliper and the usual lack of regular changing and bleeding of brake fluid will act together, resulting in the hanging-up and dragging of brake pads on rotors and expansion of air and water vapor (from water in the fluid) due to heat build-up in the caliper. This causes dramatic premature brake pad wear, overheating of disks, and eventual brake lock, with potentially catastrophic results on the road. Early warning symptoms - backup "groan" or "squeal". See many posts on the phenomenon.

Moved my bike today for the first time in a while, rear end was very creaky any ideas what needs lubricated. Does the rear wheel bearing make a noise when going?

82770[/snapback]

I don't think it's likely a bearing would creak but rear brake pads are often noisy. Especially when dirty. :2c:

Was this noise occuring just when you were wheeling the bike about? if so it's probably the brake as suggested. If though it is *creaking* when you move the suspension by sitting on the seat or such like I'd take a careful look at the shock bushings as you'll find seveal horror stories of Sachs shocks splitting their eyes on this forum if you do a search. The *creaking* could, in these circumstances, be due to the semi-seized bushes moving on the pivot bolts.

Pete