Power Commander and 2003 Models

Mike Stewart

Hey Mike, here's another question on the 2003...

We all know that the front forks increased in diameter 3mm over last years V11, but do the crowns in the top triple-tree still measure the same? Often manufacturers will increase the fork size, but to keep things simple, the very top of the fork's diameter will remain the same so they can retain the same triple-clamp up top as the previous year.

The concern/question here is two fold:

1) Current bar-riser solutions are modeled for the 40mm forks from 2002 models and before. And if the top of the fork isn't still 40mm, that could relegate the 2003+ models to very few handlbar ergo options.

2) If anyone wanted to convert from the 40mm to the new 43mm forks, it would be nice if one could keep their current top triple-clamp. It would be one less expense to have to worry about :)

Maybe you(or other 2003 V11 owners) could measure them once you get back? I'm very curious.

al

Regarding Al's point 1) I would like to know too! I have no tool to measure the exact diameter. Could someone with a 2001/2002 LM do that for me? Millimeters please...

TIA

Jaap

Guest scott

Hey Mike:

Like others I just want to pass my congrats on the new purchase of the '03 LeMans Rosso Corsa! Can't wait to see it.

As I stated in a prior post, I recently installed a PCIII in my '02 LeMans and thus far have been very pleased. I purchased it through Todd at www.guzzitech.com and would definitely recommend him to all who are considering such an upgrade. But that being said, Mike if I had a '03 like you have I probably would just order the Titanium Exhaust and ECU combo that MG is offering through the dealers. It's no more expensive that those suspension upgrades you have been doing to your green V11 Sport :grin:

Ha, had to get that one in. But seriously, shoot Todd an e-mail regarding the '03 LeMans. I know he is working on a PCIIIr that will allow for timing adjustments too.

Hope you have a safe ride to Prescott! :mg:

Well I have to disagree here, the emission control on the bmw boxers sure was/is the cause for the poor performance of the bikes in 2001 and 2002.

The ones sold here in holland were up to german emission standards which I believe are amongst the highest in the world and the guys I know all changed their eproms, it was not a mechanical flaw since the bikes worked way better with different eproms.

Rudi,

I think you are confusing the symptoms (the bike runs poorly when it is set-up for tight emissions standards) with the problem (the FI doesn't work very well). As I said in my first post, you can (as BMW has) cover up the problem by running the bike rich. Engines are very happy to run a bit rich, if the FI sends a little too much fuel into the cylinder, no problem. If you are running close to the lean edge to meet emissions standards you can't get away with that. This problem is endemic to the R259 engine, look at all the other bike that use cats and O2 sensors and meet the same standards while running well.

I realize this is not relevant to a Guzzi forum but I feel BMW has gotten off much too lightly for some horrible engineering in the last decade or so. I about lost it when I head the explanation for the dual plug head coming out now. It seems BMW insiders said that BMW didn't care about sending bikes that run poorly to the US (My '94 RS ran very poorly, I was told it was my problem) but when the home market was effected by the new, tighter emissions standards the problem was fixed. Nice to know BMW really cares about the people that spend $10 to $17,000 on the US versions.

Lex, owner of more than a dozen BMWs who will not be buying any more in the future.

Guest Buck
Well I have to disagree here, the emission control on the bmw boxers sure was/is the cause for the poor performance of the bikes in 2001 and 2002.

The ones sold here in holland were up to german emission standards which I believe are amongst the highest in the world and the guys I know all changed their eproms, it was not a mechanical flaw since the bikes worked way better with different eproms.

Actually you and Lex are both right. The emission controls do cause BMW's oilhead surging issues, but only because BMW's mapping and implementation on the oilheads sucks.

Emission controls and O2 sensors themselves do not cause inherent driveability issues. I have a '03 Buell XB9S Lightning (my replacement for the not-yet bought back Le-mons) that has a feedback fuel system just like my '00 BMW R1100RT, which surges, btw. The Buell doesn't surge at all. But it doesn't have dual throttle bodies. It's also mapped considerably better, and therein lies the real difference. That is why changing the Eprom fixes oilhead surge. BBpower and others have designed a better (probably richer) fuel map.

I absolutely love my RT and the 36,000 miles I've put on it in the last 3 years. I've put more than double the miles on it compared to any of my previous bikes before I sold them. It's been very dependable and travels long distances better than any motorcycle I've ever ridden. I'm usually bored with a bike within 10,000-15,000 miles, but the RT just keeps getting better. However I do agree that BMW gave their oilhead customers the big blow-off about the surging issues. Although it's a shame IMO it's also a very small blemish in a nearly perfect motorcycle. I can't imagine anyone else's offerings even beginning to compare over the long haul, and believe me I've ridden a bunch of bikes (I'm a Service Manager for a large Harley-Davidson dealer). BMW's methods of handling (or ignoring) the oilhead surging issues are nothing compared to the way Moto-Guzzi North America is treating (and ignoring) me right now :finger: , but that an entirely different story.