That b*stard front grease nipple

big J

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that grease nipple is there for a reason. Its like a riddle. Something that maybe didn't need to be there but they knew owners would tinker and want to over matience everything so luigi devised a challenge. They must have been consulting with BFG its the only logical explanation. :huh2:

:grin:

I used a fitting identical to that, but I had to grind it down until the wall got a leak in it and even still I had to force it to bend enough, and then I could barely get it off.

I'll be looking for a 90 degree fitting.

But I have another idea.

Some people have more trouble than others.

I suspect this is because not all zerks are the same.

Ideally one could pull the shaft and install a zerk with the right bend, right??? :huh2:

http://www.mcmaster.com/ has zerks in 0, 30 45 65 and 90 degree angles (but none in metric :( )

Anyway, just an idea...it may not work at all.

FWIW to get the shaft off, or to get complete access, I believe you must take the swing arm off.

It is not that bad of a task...

I have just bought a draper mini grease gun to see if it will do the job, it has a smaller head than normal which should clear the shaft, i am going to modify (fit flexible line) so i can grease it from the side of the bike hoprfully. Or it could be flung to the other side of the garage if it is no use. Put"mini grease gun " on ebay and see if anything that is useful turns up. :whistle:

Gary

I bought an extension with 180 degree swivel coupler from Ace Hardware. McMaster Carr has the same thing for $12.61 Part number 1090K47

I have to pull the wheel and reach in along the swing arm but every 12,000 miles is only once or twice a year.

For UK subscribers:

Flexible hose for attaching to your grease gun

http://www.cromwell.co.uk/static/publicati.../pages/1005.pdf

End fittings and nipples

http://www.cromwell.co.uk/static/publicati.../pages/1007.pdf

Grease nipples if you need many

http://www.cromwell.co.uk/static/publicati.../pages/1222.pdf

Home (for ordering)

http://www.cromwell.co.uk/index

I'm at the hangar today. I'll nick a couple and send you one if you want. PM me with your address.

P.S. All I need for clearance here is my Guzzi. They know me well and I give them a few wheelies now and then to keep their favour!!

84128[/snapback]

Jim, that would be great. If you can get a couple, I'll re-inflate the carrier puffin and send one to the magical kingdom of the BFG. PM on it's way :thumbsup:

I have just bought a draper mini grease gun to see if it will do the job, it has a smaller head than normal which should clear the shaft, i am going to modify (fit flexible line) so i can grease it from the side of the bike hoprfully. Or it could be flung to the other side of the garage if it is no use. Put"mini grease gun " on ebay and see if anything that is useful turns up. :whistle:

Gary

84196[/snapback]

I've got one of those; I couldn't get on it!

Mike, those are really useful sites: thanksfor posting the links.

I was talking to my dealer the other day: he reckons it has to be dismantled, and that's the way he does it. I'm determined to do it without. While I was there, sat on a Greaso: it was yellow, which didn't help. I really do prefer my V11. I was also taken in the back to see and hear a customer's Nero Corsa being run up on a new Stucchi crossover and Ti cans. This is why I do my own work!

This is why I do my own work!

84591[/snapback]

Aren't you being a little over sensitive or paranoid or something? or were they overheating the bike or something? A few revs of the engine should do no harm .However being taken in the back may make you walk funny:huh2:

I just tried to get the grease gun adapters from www.mcmaster.com but they can't deal with private individuals outside the US, only companies. :(

Gary

84196[/snapback]

Flung to the other end of the garage, well it was a good idea with a drink inside me. :bbblll::homer: