That b*stard front grease nipple

big J

Flung to the other end of the garage,

86004[/snapback]

Same here, but I didn't like to say, when your hopes were up with the new purchase.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just more curiosity than anything I guess, but has anyone tried simply removing the screws holding the collar that prevents easy access to the grease fitting and sliding it out of the way? I was looking around on the parts manual tonight (yes, i'm bored :blush: ) and then went and looked at the bike. It seems like just three screws hold it on. It can't be that simple right? The collar is part # 6 on the diagram below.

Randy

parts.JPG

Guest ratchethack
Just more curiosity than anything I guess, but has anyone tried simply removing the screws holding the collar that prevents easy access to the grease fitting and sliding it out of the way? 

Yep - you can get it off alright, but then with the swingarm in place, you've still got a nasty access problem, since the loose collar is still in the way. :homer: Last time I had my swingarm out, I had considered drilling the collar for more convenient access to the grease nipple (zerk), but due to the ravages of age-induced dain bramage :whistle: , I either forgot to do it, or decided against it for some reason that I've also forgotten... :blush:

Someone late last year was gonna actually do this and post back, but I ain't seen a post on it... :huh2:

Yep - you can get it off alright, but then with the swingarm in place, you've still got a nasty access problem, since the loose collar is still in the way. :homer:  Last time I had my swingarm out, I had considered drilling the collar for more convenient access to the grease nipple (zerk), but due to the ravages of age-induced dain bramage :whistle: , I either forgot to do it, or decided against it for some reason that I've also forgotten... :blush:

Someone late last year was gonna actually do this and post back, but I ain't seen a post on it... :huh2:

87379[/snapback]

The problem is not that collar.

The problem is the hole in the swing arm through which the shaft and u-joint pass.

Once you get passed that problem with an angled fitting, some of us still have a problem with little clearance between the zerk and the side of the u-joint.

EDIT OOOPPS, I thought he was talking about collar 7 not collar 6. Collar 6 is no problem either.

• 3 months later...

Tonight I was going to grease my joints. I took the swingarm out, when you take the rearwheel out there is not much to do to get it out. Even silencers can stay where they are. Because my swingarm is a bit modded at the front, there is no other way to reach the front joint, well if guzzi had mounted the front nipple on the other side of the crss it would have been easy for me.

DSC05896__Large_.JPG