ECU Trouble shooting

Guest str8films

Starter is off the bike.  Put voltage to it and nothing....finally, I got it to click (starter gear engaged) but not spinning.  Whadya think bad, NG, TU stater? :(

I opened up the Valeo starter and saw lots of crud and corrosion in there.  Things got wet.  Might be a clue...dunno.

Can I service the Valeo, rebuild it or do you just get a new one?

-m

NG = No Good

TU = Tits up

85330[/snapback]

Bummer. I don't think there is any rebuilding of them. Find a automotive starter rebuilder in your area. If he can get the parts he can rebuild. They use Valeo on some cars. My local rebuilder has gotten motorcycle starters for me in the past far cheaper than going to the dealer. I've never tried him on a MG starter though. Good luck.

Starter is off the bike.  Put voltage to it and nothing....finally, I got it to click (starter gear engaged) but not spinning.  Whadya think bad, NG, TU stater? :(

I opened up the Valeo starter and saw lots of crud and corrosion in there.  Things got wet.  Might be a clue...dunno.

-m

NG = No Good

TU = Tits up

85330[/snapback]

Bummer. I don't think there is any rebuilding of them. Find a automotive starter rebuilder in your area. If he can get the parts he can rebuild. They use Valeo on some cars. My local rebuilder has gotten motorcycle starters for me in the past far cheaper than going to the dealer. I've never tried him on a MG starter though. Good luck.

edit: Sorry , don't know how the double post happened

Guest str8films
Euro MotoElectrics

If you replace your starter, could I have your dead one? I have an experiment in mind...

85339[/snapback]

Yeah Carl, It's yours. Can you let us in on your experiment?

-m

-m

NG = No Good

TU = Tits up

85330[/snapback]

If it is struggling to engage, it sounds like your solenoid is not making good contact.

Before you pass it to Carl, try pulling it apart, clean and silicone spray lube the piston, cylinder, and contacts, and look to see if the contacts can be adjusted.

I did the cleaning many times with my V65's Lucas starter....not sure if the Valeo is the same animal.

However, the Lucas would only work for about six months after a cleaning, so if you can afford a new one, that may be a better route.

Boat anchor? :grin:

Hey, this should be a quiz question :P

You can bypass the starter solenoid by using a set of battery jumpers and going from the battery to the lower solenoid post and grounding the starter case. If the starter is out of the bike, be careful, if the starter is good there will be a fairly big spark and it will jump from the torque it produces, if the starter is shorted, there will be a even a larger spark (like welding) and the starter will not spin. If nothing happens then your starter is open. Oh, don't make any sparks near the battery :!:

Mike

Euro MotoElectrics

If you replace your starter, could I have your dead one? I have an experiment in mind...

85339[/snapback]

Slowly this seems to turn out as an Adults Only topic, especially when we talk about pulling sparks out of screwdrivers used to bridge solenoid contacts. Nobody mentioned this method so far, but that's what probably most people would do if they try to make contact between terminals that are not explicitely designed for every day's connectors or connectors they have at hand actually.

And yes, starters do jump when they get activated. Sometimes quite surprisingly!

Hubert

Boat anchor?  :grin:

Hey, this should be a quiz question :P

85365[/snapback]

I think it should be a poll :D

But what is the question?

Is it, what should STR8FLCKZ do with it, or is it, what does Carl have planned for it, or as Luhbo may be leadining to suggest, will str8flkz lose an eye if he jumps the battery?

Yeah Carl, It's yours.  Can you let us in on your experiment?

-m

85340[/snapback]

Real simple. I'm going to take the end of the starter that bolts to the bike, lop it off at about an inch or so in length and then weld the starter gear shaft in place so that bolting the unit in place gives you an easy way to prevent the flywheel from turning for maintenance on timing chains, clutches and so forth.

The real shame of it? I had all of these parts when I rebuilt a Valeo starter using one from a Saturn car (not going there again, it's weird and messy). Right after I threw out the old starter carcass I got the brainstorm for the flywheel immobilizer.

If someone else wants the solenoid part, I surely won't be needing it for this.

Guest str8films

I got a new starter on the way. I think that will solve the problem. I found a guy on ebay selling starters and rebuild kits. So I got one of each so I have a new starter and I can rebuild the old one. Sorry Carl. I'm keeping it for another day.

Check this guy out. He might be old news to some of you, but he was new to me. Great guy and easy to deal with http://www.euromotoelectrics.com/

You can get a Valeo starter way cheaper than the dealer and he has the rebuild parts for your old one.

Thanks for all the feedback guys!

-m

I did the cleaning many times with my V65's Lucas starter....not sure if the Valeo is the same animal.

However, the Lucas would only work for about six months after a cleaning, so if you can afford a new one, that may be a better route.

85341[/snapback]

Had exactly the same problem. Until I did this:

http://www.guzzitech.com/SmallBlockRelay-PHayes.html

No more starter problems. Best 30 minutes maintenance I ever did.

mike

Had exactly the same problem.  Until I did this:

http://www.guzzitech.com/SmallBlockRelay-PHayes.html

No more starter problems.  Best 30 minutes maintenance I ever did.

mike

85831[/snapback]

Drat! I wish I had known about that 20 years ago :homer:

The early V11S starter relay wiring is nearly as bad, but for a different reason.

There is too much load on the lighting side of the relay.

http://www.guzzitech.com/RelayFailures-David_L.html

My GEI relay has been compensating for it fine, but for piece of mind, adding a pair of relays to the high and low beams with a direct line from the battery would take a considerable load off the starter relay.