Old wooden boats

dmoon64

Guest Nogbad

Cool. I think you are right, but would you want to get all that lovely varnished wood and polished chrome anywhere near sea water?

CHRIS_2.JPGOnce I was the proud owner of a 1936 Chris Craft runabout. It spent its entire time with me trying to live on the bottom of my boat slip. I finally sold it and spent a year making a radio controlled model. Man, were they ever two good decisions! :bier:

CHRIS_2.JPGOnce I was the proud owner of a 1936 Chris Craft runabout. It spent its entire time with me trying to live on the bottom of my boat slip. I finally sold it and spent a year making a radio controlled model. Man, were they ever two good decisions! :bier:

85190[/snapback]

and a fine piece of work. :thumbsup:

This thing would be a hoot.......

bart17_1.jpg  bart17_5.jpg

85150[/snapback]

I love these things. I've swooned after these classics for years.

Just what I need, another perpetual project. "Honey, would you mind parking your car outside this winter?" :whistle:

CHRIS.JPGDarryl, it was mucho work but also mucho fun. Dumas makes the kit (about $250) and you build it just like the original - double planking, individual mahogany strips, etc. I took a year to build it but that was not steady labor.

I had a 48 star flag made for it and also gold leaf decals for the transom name (the same name as my old Chris Craft). It's the centerpiece in my livingroom.

I love these things. I've swooned after these classics for years.

Just what I need, another perpetual project. "Honey, would you mind parking your car outside this winter?" :whistle:

85278[/snapback]

Dan, this suggests that you let you wife's car into the garage sometimes! Disturbing...garages are for bikes, conceivably wooden boats and forgivably my Jaguar, but your wife's car?!

I had my Thunderbird out in the sunshine, today! :)

Guest Nogbad

85283[/snapback]

Watch out! You could get jail for that.

I've been restoring a 1958 Yellow Jacket runabout for the last few years. Hope to have it in the water this summer. It was built in Denison Texas and the company was owned by the great Roy Rogers. He also raced them and set several speed records with one.

Salt water is not the enemy of wooden boats - fresh is. Fresh water rots wood fast, salt preserves...

The two happiest days in a man's life? The day he buys a boat and the day he sells it.

Rj

Dan, this suggests that you let you wife's car into the garage sometimes! Disturbing...garages are for bikes, conceivably wooden boats and forgivably my Jaguar, but your wife's car?!

85283[/snapback]

Six years ago I had an addition built onto my garage that is for motorcycles only,with tools, heat, light, music, and just steps from the refridgerator, it has everything I need and I can probably fit another one or two in if I get creative but I'll have to reclaim what I gave up in the "old section" if I want to bring in a boat.

Six years ago I had an addition built onto my garage that is for motorcycles only,with tools, heat, light, music, and just steps from the refridgerator, it has everything I need and I can probably fit another one or two in if I get creative but I'll have to reclaim what I gave up in the "old section" if I want to bring in a boat.

85321[/snapback]

Now that sounds much more like it! Respect!

:thumbsup:

A friend of mine had an old GP boat very much like this. After blasting across the lake at full throttle a couple of times it got boring real quick. You can't ski behind it, can't fish from it, can't putter around in it drinking beer with your buddies, and it burned incredible amounts of gas. He sold it after one season.

This thing would be a hoot.......

bart17_1.jpg  bart17_5.jpg

85150[/snapback]