Tank Bag

velofish

An easy [and super cheap] fix for moving tank bags, and as an isolator for paint protection. Go to a marine hardware store,

There are two similar products locally here, but the one that works best has a more foam feel to it, rather than a shinier rubber look/feel to it.

Ciao, Steve G.

85442[/snapback]

I used the mesh from Home Depot. I think they sell it to line tool box drawers or something. Just glued it to the bottom of the bag with 3M spray glue 77. The stuff you're talking about sounds a little more heavy duty, though. I'll keep an eye out.

Hey Fish - you can call Agostini or e-mail them in English - they do a lot of business in the US. :thumbsup:

85453[/snapback]

Thanks. I love that site. Funny, I'll buy the cheap mac and cheese at the grocery store, but will think nothing of dropping $ on new bike farkles.

The no skid pads suggested sound like a good idea.

85458[/snapback]

The mesh worked pretty good for me. it kept the bag from moving so much, and seems to be doing a great job of protecting the paint, too.

I have a Shook Speed Pack (http://www.aerostich.com/product.php?productid=16187), a hard shell tank bag.  Its curves nicely match the lines of the bike.  Foam pads keep the bag off the surface of the tank.  I have it mounted so that it opens towards me.

Brian

85463[/snapback]

I just saw that in the new stich catalog. Looks great.

I think I am at about 4 or 5 tank bags now. The Eldo came with an ancient Tourmaster. Still have my 20+ year old Harro Elefantenboy on the BMW. Have some sort of weird Japanese magnetic bag that I bought from Aerostich, plus the one currently on the V11, plus this new one. :huh2: I may be the Imelda Marcos of tank bags.

Come to think of it, I have about half a dozen riding jackets around, 4 or 5 helmets, and a mess of gloves. You know, just when you start feeling down... something like this comes along and lets you know you have a place in the universe, after all. I am the mayor of the island of misfit riding gear. :thumbsup:

fish

I am close to getting my Centauro back on the road and as I have 2 gas tanks for it now (the original was really marked up) I may take the duff tank and glue a tank bag base directly to it and dispense with any straps and such. If I am going for a long trip who cares what it looks like.

As to what tank bag I'll use I'll probably find the one that will fit best whilst glued down!!

Come to think of it, I have about half a dozen riding jackets around, 4 or 5 helmets, and a mess of gloves.  You know, just when you start feeling down... something like this comes along and lets you know you have a place in the universe, after all.  I am the mayor of the island of misfit riding gear. :thumbsup:

fish

85469[/snapback]

Aint it the truth. My "gear closet" door opens with the same kind of thump as a poppin' fresh biscuit can. Of course I won't throw any old, no longer used stuff out.

It's just my little way of getting back at the, um, woman. :whistle:

Steve: I'll keep that in mind, but I really love that old bag. Wish they still made them. Looks perfect on the old airhead.

I did see one on e-bay not too long ago. If I run across another one, I' ll let you know.

Aerostich has a couple bags from ortleib and Wolfman that look to be made in the same spirit-- tough and simple. Hard to beat the name "elefantenboy", though :)

fish.

Woohoo! :thumbsup: The tank bag got here today. I ordered it on saturday morning from MPH in Houston, and it showed up at the shop in West Virginia on Monday Morning. :D

The Havens must've thrown it on a bike and rode for two straight days to get it here so fast. Hell, Mike and Todd, you could've stopped in for a cup of coffee. Fantastic service, great dealer.

The bag looks like a really good piece of kit. too. Thanks to everyone for your input.

fish

Woohoo! :thumbsup:  The tank bag got here today.  I ordered it on saturday morning from MPH in Houston, and it showed up at the shop in West Virginia on Monday Morning. :D

The Havens must've thrown it on a bike and rode for two straight days to get it here so fast.  Hell, Mike and Todd, you could've stopped in for a cup of coffee.  Fantastic service, great dealer.

The bag looks like a really good piece of kit. too.  Thanks to everyone for your input. 

fish

85680[/snapback]

Many happy trips with the tankbag, Velo..

Whiskey for my men, and beer for my horses :bier:

I have found the foam "grippy" mats used for area rugs to be the same foam

as the marine grade non-slip material.

Get a few buddies to go in together, get a mat for a room sized rug, and you have a lifetime supply. Even sneak it in as a "Home Depot" purchase, not mc related :lol:

Been very happy with it in real-life usage.

My nod to the "frugal" on the list. :bike: