Drivetrain "play"

Guest b01234

Guest b01234

My 03 Le Mans seems to have more than normal "play" in the drive train. Compared to my other Guzzies as well as chain drive Ducatis there seems to be quite a bit of "slop" when rolling back off the gas, up shifting cleanly and just trying to ride smoothly. Are there any tricks to tighting up the drivetrain on this bike, it only has 6000 mi. on the clock?

Guest ratchethack

I had a big complaint in this area when I got my 2000 Sport. In my experience, it can't be eliminated completely, but there are several things you can do to improve things a great deal. Now I don't even notice it as a problem.

1. Setting the valves to "World specs", and having y'er TBs balanced and in proper state of tune helps a great deal. I achieved the latter with a PC III and "off the shelf" map matched to my config.

2. I was able to take the perception of drivetrain "snatchiness" further down another couple o' pegs with a custom-fabbed 1/3-twist progressive throttle cam that provides a much finer degree of control at low throttle openings.

See discussion, links, and photos in posts 11 and 12 in the "Gear Lash" thread: http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6281&hl=

The improvement was so significant that I found that it made riding mountain roads far more relaxing and enjoyable. I no longer found myself with a death grip on the bars when pushing hard in the twisties, anticipating those demonic chassis-bucking power transitions. I'd been using the clutch way too often trying to control the rear wheel. Those critical mid-turn, hard-over, off-on throttle transitions are relatively smooth as glass now, and no more need for the clutch. :thumbsup:

You can do a few things like what Ratchet mentions, but I'm afraid that's just the way it is.

On the plus side- you'll get used to it, and become a much smoother rider for the effort. Not much consolation, but it's all I can come up with.